Thursday, September 20, 2007

Journalling

This has been an interesting week as I have been immersed in writing up credits for the first two years of Stephen's high school.

I am so glad I wrote down what I did.

I wish I could have captured more. Not for credit sake, but just for the memories.

It was been so neat to think back on the livng we have done, and the thinking the boys have done. Many converstations I had forgotton that really have shaped who they are. Sometimes they will come up with some thought or knowledge or skill and I will wonder (as I am sure all moms have)--- Where did they learn this?

It is fun to see at least part of whence it came. (Oh... Victorian English, can you tell I have been reading Sherlock Holmes?)

Then, to develop a 'credit' in the stilted fashion the world, or part of it likes to see, is really facinating.

I am thinking about beginning a Beautiful Journal. Some lovely sketchbook or something where I can write down life, that will become credits, too-- but also have life. And beauty. I have taken to coloring my Franklin Covey planner with my watercolor pencils. I love it. So relaxing, so creative, so life-full. The computer is so-- well-- digital. lol

But, it is fast. I know I would never have gotton down so much if not for the speed typing I do. Also it was so nice to cut and paste to arrange things.

Something to think about. But, I had a friend who once said she would never journal, it seemed a waste of time. I am not consistant at it, but it is not by many means a waste of time. For me, it cements life, gives it depth and lets me see my past, that so often has a tendency to flit away in the current busy moment.

3 comments:

Leonie said...

I am on and off with personal journalling. Just recently, I was making my To Do list in a fun Barbie notebook, using coloured felt pens - made a bright addition to my day!

Leonie said...

BTW, I put a pic of the to do notebook ( Barbie) on my blog. :-)

Willa said...

I go on and off on journalling, too. A private blog is helpful for me because the format is so nice.

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels