Wednesday, September 27, 2006

It's Always Something...

I was thinking about my current parenting/homeschooling challenges. One of them is continuing to connect with my teen boys. They of course are becoming more independent and also go through ups and down, needs to pull away and return.

It would be easy just to get on with my life and interests and not involve them, but my goal is to continue to connect, so it takes effort on my part to keep the balance.

Rewind back in our lives about 10 years. That was *not* my challenge then! Then it was how to keep up with a 6 and 3 year old- and to sometimes find a little space for myself! They wanted to do everything with me, me do everything with them and wanted to do just plain everything! We were still learning basics, such as how to clean up after ourselves. I can see the toys just strewn all over the basement! I felt so busy all the time and my little guys were very dependent on me.

Made me think how each age has its challenges. But each age has its joys. Stopping to think about the joys of today--- these boys are so intelligent. They can reason. They help when I ask them to help. They help me make decisions and give me feedback on many things, We talk about their intersts and mine. There are many joys amidst the challenges.

How to remember to see the joyful times that exist in every age--- that is the goal, I think. It is so easy to dwell on the difficulties...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder, Cindy. My dc are now 6 and almost 9. Time seems to be passing quickly! I need to take a look back just a few years and see some of the wonderful things we've learned together, and appreciate the bumps in the road along with the joys these ages bring. Courtney

Cindy said...

Hi Courtney--

Oh, I loved that age, too. That is how old my boys were when we moved to Houston. We almost moved to Dallas a few months ago... and we realized how many memories were tied up here in Houston the past 8 years during and after this age...

Enjoy these years!
God Bless,
Cindy

tootlepip said...

Thanks for the thoughtful post. I have a 21 year old daughter and three boys - almost 16, 12 and 10. The time goes by so fast and each new stage brings new challenges and new joys in the journey.

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels