Saturday, September 30, 2006

Real. Beautiful, Liturgical and Catholic...

I am a convert of 9 years. There are some really wonderful things about being a convert. Since I discovered the faith as an adult, it is like opening up surprise after surprise as I learn more about all the beautiful, real and true aspects of the faith. I think of the journeys I have taken as I discovered the Real Presence, adoration, Mary, the saints, Reconciliation, sacraments for my boys as they were born and grew, etc.

The past few years, in large part thanks to the past leader of my TORCH group, I have learned about the liturgical year. Every year now I order the big poster with the wheel of the liturgical year. The colors and artwork is beautiful and it has all the saints' days and feast days on it. I am slowly learning about these days and saints, and two of my e-friends just posted about the Feast of the Archangels, (which I missed..:( ). I put them in charge of reminding me next year. lol

I want to learn more about the beautiful Church we have. I want to slowly make this a part of our lives. I wish my boys were younger, as it would be fun to make crafts that apply to the days. But we are past that. Humm... food. That is always a good way to ply into the male hearts in this house. That could be a ticket.

I am praying about this upcoming Advent season. Last year I was sick-ish during most of it and had low energy, which maybe was meant to be. It was low key. I don't want 'high key' neccesarily, but I would like to plan ahead a bit. My guys have only a few years left here. I want to keep bringing in the Catholic life... and am well aware I may be in training for future Grandma duty. I am going to be one of those Catholic grandmas who help save the world! :)

One small step at a time. Here it is. I am going to buy my Advent candles ahead of time. Usually I am cleaning up or returning home from Thanksgiving and then realize I have none or only have used and short ones and the stores are sold out. So that is my plan so far.

And to ask the saints to pray for me to help bring their presence and history and blessings into our home.

God Bless,
Cindy

1 comment:

Leonie said...

Cindy, that liturgical wheel calendar sounds cool.

I'll try to send you a nudge on the feast of the archangels next year!:-)

One thing i do, is sit down with my diary at the start of the year. I write in birthdays. I look at a religious calendar and mark in Lent and Advent - and a day to think about activities for each. I choose a couple of saints each m onth ( mostly different ones each year) and pencil in those days - with a reminder for the start of the week to look for an activity or recipe.

So, as I look at my week each Sunday, I have some liturgical reminders.

We don't "do" all the saints each year - but we "do" some.

And i remember to do at least one special thing each Lent or Advent....that post it thing that we talked about earlier.

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels