Monday, April 16, 2007

Confirmation, all learning together

Confirmation is that sacrament I kinda got for a freebie. When I came into the fullness of the Church ten years ago, I recieved my First Holy Communion and had my first Confession. But although I was confirmed, I not much was said about it and I never really knew how to explain it to my sons.

So.. again.. the beauty of homeschooling! Because I am not relying on outside teachers I am having to learn this to then pass on. My oldest is 16 and according our our dioceese, he is the 'age' for Confirmation.

Well, in my research (much of it done by surveying other Catholic moms) and by reading and checking Church sources, I find that there is no specific age for Confirmation. There also is no requirement other than the desire and having been baptised. However, every parish has its requirements, and I am hoping our pastor will accept our home catechisis, since their program is very long with lots of classes, social functions and retreats.

But, as with all the aspects of our faith, I want to know the graces Jesus had in store for us when he conferred this sacrement. So, I am learning.. and then sharing.

This is perfect timing too, because in our liturgical year, we are coming upon Pentacost, which is when the Apostles were all confirmed with the Holy Spirit.

Some resources we are using and enjoying are:

- The Bible- We are going to try really hard to do scripture reading every day, and follow the Acts of the Apostles. I have never read them through, but parts and I love it when Peter takes charge! Go St. Peter!

Also:



Growth by Oath

In his usual energetic style Scott Hahn goes into what an oath is, what a convenant is and how it all plays into the sacramental life we enjoy as Catholics. I believe him when he postulates that America is the least sacramental civilization on earth. The whole first cassette is about was a sacrament is, and it ties in beautifully to history and current life.
Then, he has specific talks on each sacrament.

The other book I found is:

I am really enjoying this because it is good teaching (St. Ignatius Press), but is not overwhelming. I read a bit aloud, then we all read some on our own and just talk about it. It also has the lists of those things I want us to know: The Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit, the Effects of Baptism, and a page of 'Prayers and Teaching Every Catholic Should Know", such as Meal Prayers, Act of Hope, Order of Mass, etc. This will be a great brush up and chance to learn something new.

Also, of course the CCC is a great resource on Confirmation and I think I might pull that out after we read and listen to these other things for a few weeks.

I find since I have begun this 'focus' that chances to talk about Confirmation come up all the time. It is kind of 'percolating'. We are planning to attend a friend's confirmation next month, and setting our sites on both my sons being confirmed together next spring. At least that is my thought now providing the Holy Spirit and my pastor agree.

1 comment:

Leonie said...

The books look interesting. In our last parish/diocese, kids were confirmed around age 14 or so. In this new one, it is just after FHC - so the younger three ended up being confirmed together last year - ages 10, 13, 14. Interesting how it differs...

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels