
I liked this quote by Allison McKee about the 'inner work' teens do. We don't always see the growth that is happening. I also liked how her litmus test of how they were 'doing' was if they were in 'active states of mind.'
Just before our son entered his teens, and for a year or so more, his life
seemed non-productive. I was comforted by my knowledge that teen and pre-teen developmental changes take significant "inner" work. If you are willing, simply be sure that your teens are actively involved in activities which motivate them when they are in active states of mind. This meaningful work or study is important because, in the future, it will help keep interests in learning alive.Standardized curriculum, at this stage of the game, may squash any learning interests.
1 comment:
A good quote. I find that I tend to push busyness, cos I am a "busy" sort of person myself and I worry about too much idleness. Yet, this seemingly idle or seemingly non productive time is important. Thank you for the reminder.
Post a Comment