
I have recently stumbled upon and in essence re-discovered Dr. Peter Kreeft.
He is also helping me re-discover noble ideas and philosophy. It takes me back to when I began homeschooling and through Charlotte Mason began to love the search for great ideas and the literature and other resources that brought it to me.
I found him through my LCM Cds, as they have one talk of his, Seven Reasons to be Catholic. In it he was intertwining Plato, Socrates and Christ as well as C.S. Lewis and Tolkien. From there I went to Google (my old friend) and found this goldmine of a site of Dr. Kreeft's writings and audios.
Peter Kreeft dotcom
On it are a sample of his writings and lots of talks you can download for free. I am actually considering getting an ipod now (new technology I have resisted just to keep from having to deal with more new technology). With an ipod I could download this and they would be all nice and neat and tracked.
He is witty, articulate, intellectual, and througougly steeped in our Catholic faith. What a combo!
Below is an excerpt on prayer from the article linked here.
I also listened to the audio Prayer for Beginners and found it wonderful, just what I needed to help me put prayer first and really try and listen for the Holy Spirit in all aspects of life. I am a Martha. I knew it, he confirmed it. I want to be a Mary. :)
Here are some of his insights on prayer-
The major obstacle in most of our lives to just saying yes to prayer, the most
popular and powerful excuse we give for not praying, or not praying more, or not
praying regularly, is that we have no time.
The only effective answer to
that excuse, I find, is a kind of murder. You have to kill something, you have
to say no to something else, in order to make time to pray. Of course, you will
never find time to pray, you have to make time to pray. And that means unmaking
something else. The only way to install the tenant of prayer in the apartment
building of your life is to evict some other tenant from those premises that
prayer will occupy. Few of us have any empty rooms available.
Deciding
to do that is the first thing. And you probably won't decide to do it, only wish
to do it, unless you see prayer for what it is: a matter of life or death, your
lifeline to God, to life itself.
1 comment:
...He is also helping me re-discover noble ideas and philosophy.....
A very nice thought - something for me to ponder...
Post a Comment