Sunday, January 27, 2008

Albert Einstein-


Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Einstein's mother introduced him to the violin at the age of six in an attempt to counteract his academic failures. Einstein eventually became an accomplished amateur violinist, taking particular pleasure in performing Mozart and discussing the parallels between music and mathematics. His son, Hans Albert, recalled that "whenever he felt that he had come to the end of the road or into a difficult situation in his work, he would take refuge in music, and that would usually resolve all the difficulties."
Einstein quote;
"Politics are for the moment. Equations are for eternity."
By the end of his life in 1955, Einstein had faded from the public scene, but his insights into the workings of the universe were continuing to transform the world. An unfinished statement for Israeli Independence Day found at the time of his death read,
"What I seek to accomplish is simply to serve with my feeble capacity truth and justice at the risk of pleasing no one."
The following is from Elsa Einstein, Albert Einstein's wife, regarding Einstein's development of the theory of general relativity. It's taken from the outstanding book Einstein and Religion by Max Jammer. It's originally taken from Charles Chaplin's autobiography.
The Doctor came down in his dressing gown as usual for breakfast but he hardly touched a thing. I thought something was wrong, so I asked what was troubling him. "Darling," he said, "I have a wonderful idea." And after drinking his coffee, he went to the piano and started playing. Now and again he would stop, making a few notes then repeat: "I've got a wonderful idea, a marvelous idea!" I said: "Then for goodness' sake tell me what it is, don't keep me in suspense." He said: "It's difficult, I still have to work it out."
She told me he continued playing the piano and making notes for about half an hour, then went upstairs to his study, telling her that he did not wish to be disturbed, and remained there for two weeks. "Each day I sent him up his meals," she said, "and in the evening he would walk a little for exercise, then return to his work again. Eventually," she said, "he came down from his study looking very pale. "That's it," he told me, wearily putting two sheets of paper on the table. And that was his theory of relativity."
Currently we are listening to the CD of Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson

2 comments:

Leonie said...

Wow, very interesting - sounds like you are findng the CD fascinating? And good to see to back at your blog - missed you, this last week. :-)

Cindy said...

Yes, I am Leonie.
Sorry about the messy post. I just threw it together and loved the picture.

Einstien was a very interesting man and learned to play the violin later in life.

We (boys and I ) started listening to a CD about the 'fabric of the universe' which included Einstein's theroies of relativity. Soon it got to be over my head. But when I listened to his bio, and heard how he pieced it togehter throughout his life, it began to make more sense.

I love the human element.

Thanks for the comment!

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels