Stephen and Bryan must have their sponsor and patron saint chosen by tomorrow.
They both chose their grandmother as their sponsor. She is 88 and has her tickets to fly in for the sacrament--- and also will get to see the Cardinal who is presiding.
Please pray for her health, and that she can make this event especially.. we appreciate it! She is our Catholic connection in our family, for sure.
As far as Patron saints, Stephen chose St. John Bosco.
It really touched me.When we began talking about saints, I suggested to both the boys, to think about those we have learned about, but also gave them the Catholic Exchange site to look around... pray.. see where they were led. Frankly, I had forgotton to mention St. John Bosco.
But I love this saint. Many of you reading know him- his views on education and children are beautiful. The boys had read a bio of him a few years ago, and as he looked around, I think Stephen rediscovered him.
It was one of those mom moments.. like -- who knew the kid was really paying attention when I gave him that John Bosco book all those years ago? :)
Bryan chose St. Hugh of Lincoln.

I said "Who??"
But I looked him up and I think what drew Bryan was the relationship he had with a swan.
Go read about it. Awesome saint! And it is not St. Hugh the little, but the one during the reformation with the swan. The boys have to write a report on their saint for the parish, and I bet we will get into some great Reformation discussions, especially with their dad..(who by the way, told me today he plans to review the CCC with them this spring... woo hoo!!! All you homeschooling moms know how I feel about this-- Dad gearing up! )
So, we have two new patron saints in our family to add to St. Patrick and St. Teresa of Avilla. There is a funny story about the latter, my patron saint. Let me know if you want to hear it and I will make another post. :)
But, this does make me again see, that we have a beautiful large family in our Catholic faith--- even though the Kelly family might seem small... we are part of something big. Our Catholic family on earth, and the communion of saints- and now we have two very special saints who will be praying for us and we can go to for intentions.
So lovely!
Please say a prayer for our young men tomorrrow... as we continue toward Confirmation. Thank you--
2 comments:
Wow re the St John Bosco connection!n It is his feast day this month, too! I'll say a prayer - oh and do tell your St Teresa story. :-)
Awesome! Reminds me to ask Grace and the teen boy I am sponsoring about what saints they are looking at (if any!).
Post a Comment