Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Funny, kid, funny...


My witty, sometimes droll 17yo son walked in a bit ago and said:

"Mom, I am not sure about the color of those pants. Can we return them?"

I about socked him.


Why, you ask?

In a nutshell..

-Confirmation is 2 weeks away.

-Boys must wear Sunday Best. (Cardinal DiNardo sez so!)

-We attend life teen. Their 'best' is jeans and sneakers.

-Shopping is a bear. They are so slim-waisted and tall, that is one reason I gave up on suppling anything other than jeans and sneakers. I have to mail order the jeans to get their size.

-Today was shopping day. Kohl's had two-for-one sale on men's dress wear.

-We spent 1.5 hours digging through unorganized men's wear, all sizes and styles mixed up, searching for the elusive 30 inch waist slacks, that hopefully were more than 30 inches long.

-FINALLY we found them, not quite long enough, but they will do.

[Note: The boys did a great job and we had some laughs.. especially in picking ties... pink, green, polka dots, oh my!]

-On to shirts, ties, belts, socks and dress shoes.

Whew.

-Checkout. Bored clerk. I asked if I got the two for one on all the items. Yes, she said. May I use my 20% off coupon? No, she said. That starts tomorrow. oh.

-Can I put these on hold and come back tomorrow? Will the 2-fer sale still be on? Yes, she said. What time do you open? 9am she said.

-She dumped (and I mean DUMPED) our carefully chosen items in a bag, put my name on them and stuck them under the counter at her feet.

-I was very, very uncomfortable. Are you sure those will make it to customer service? Yeah, she said.

- I drove home . (25 min). I started geting more uncomfortable. When I got home I checked their website. It said store opened at 9, not 8. And the two-fer sale ended today.

-I called the store. Yup. Sale ends today. I have to DRIVE BACK IN RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC to the store to buy them today to get the big saving. ARGH!

- I was mad. I don't usually get mad. I usually stop and get perspecitve. I left and even kinda slammed the door. My dh was heading off on a business trip, and I told I had to leave- Bye. Nice, eh?

-Driving there, I figured I better calm down. It is really sad to see irate customers, taking out their anger on a clerk.

-But then, I realized.. NO. The manager needs to know! I let my anger build again...

-I walked in, found my clerk who still my $300 bag of bunched up clothes and shoes under her feet at her register. I asked her for it and went to customer service.

-I found the manager and said. I am sorry, but you now have an irate customer. Here is my story. She braced herself.

-I told her everything- from the disorganized inventory which took us an hour to dig through with NO assistance offered from staff... to the careless clerk. She was great. What can I do? She asked.

-I would like to buy this and get the twofer sale, and also my 20% off coupon.

-Ok. she said. I give her credit.

-As she rung it up, she said.. oh... the pants are not two for one. One was on clearance, so doesn't count. Would you like to get another?

-I started laughing, bitterly. We had made sure to find the same brand of pants so we would get the deal. Well, I said, my sons are home now, and there is no way I can look through all that inventory again anyway. So, she gave them to me for free. With the flick of her finger on the computer screen, $50 dissapeared...

-I ended up $100 ahead in the end. For 'channeling my anger' as I told my boys.

-Thinking on the way home.. yes, I was tired. Yes I was angry. But anger is NOT a sin. What you do with it can be the sin. I knew I was right, and I know enough about business to know that feedback from customers is crucial. I think my controlled anger emphasied my story. I could tell that for sure, as the other staff would not wait on me but waited for the manager, and they all watched from the wings to see what I was going to say!

I finally got back home, sat down, put my feet up and my son made his request. I could've killed him. :-)

3 comments:

Marie said...

Cindy,

Great story! (But sorry you had to live through it!) I recently had a similarly infuriating exchange with an ebay customer (buyer) who decided to reject the purchase after it was mailed, and who now wants me to refund his money, but without him returning my merchandise. I went through a similar anger-evaluation experience. Fortunately, dealing with people who act like clods is not a part of my daily routine.

Good for you that you took the store to task.

And congratulations on not injuring your son for his droll wit!

Leonie said...

Oh, Cindy, what a day! And your son was too funny. :-)

Cindy said...

lol!

Yes, Stephen knew he was within an inch of his life...

And Marie- I hear you.. I often count my blessings and realize that for the most part I am around such wonderful people, people I choose to be with.. not clods. :0 I think retail would be hard and I do give that manager credit.

Sorry about your ebay experience! Very frustrating...

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels