
And the second thing I realized was that it seems balance is such a recurring theme. Balancing babies, balancing kids/house/husband/homeschool/friends, etc. Now I have friends who are balancing life and grandkids.

This post is about balance, too. Well, and change. I have spent the past 6 weeks or so in major reserach mode as my dh and I decided it was time for me to look for work. This came about round about, and now I am very excited about it.
But it was funny, how at first blush it seemed... well... difficult.
I think a big part was me. I was so entrenched in the lifestyle I came to embrace it was hard to think of a major change. It was hard for me to go from career to kids 17 years ago, then to full time at-home mom.. then to homeschooler. Those were all hard, but they were all blessings. I am so thankful I found that way.
But, my sons are 14 and 17. They are more independent and I am realizing (at least partialy) many of the goals and dreams I had about homeschooling at the outset. They are morally well-grounded.
(I can trust them if I am busy and doing my own stuff.)
They are self-motivated learners. (I can mentor, but trust them to learn and grow on their own).
I kept thinking, I can't work-- be pulled away.. they need me! But do they? And how much?
They love their independence and I think they need it.
So, I found a homebased endevor that hopefully will generate the income goals dh and I talked about.
I really wanted homebase- as I still want to be the 'heart of the home' and feel that is important to me and the guys.
BUT---- and this is a big but---
I can't do it all.
And I really mean it. I gave up being a martyr (well, mostly, except when it can help me win an arguement) years ago!
I told my family that I if I am going to dedicate 15-20 hours a week to working, I need my schedule clear. No interruptions and you all have to pick up a lot. Not just 'help' with things, but 'take over' things. Here is the short list of what I have offloaded:
-picking up after others
-cleaning up the kitchen
-boys' laundry
-yard work (except I like to mow- it burns calories and is therapeutic!)
-cooking (dh is taking over most of that and boys can handle their own food
(Looking at this list, I realize it needs to get longer.... lol!)
Also I have housekeeper that can come in 2X a month to scrub the bathrooms and kitchen.
I still do all the bill paying, investments, insurance, errands, organization of the house, homeschool planning, college search, mentoring of boys, ill parents etc. I can't see the being off-loaded so my plate is full.
I also am re-looking my things. What I can keep. On my list to keep is:
Lighthouse Catholic Media (it is an awesome ministry and provides a small trickle of income, very little though)
Pet Sitting Business (We LOVE our customers! lol- but we are thinking the boys can eventually take that over fulltime)
Hosptial volunteer (2 horus a week- the training is over which frees up time)
Online friends and blogging (I MISSED blogging.. you all are very special and hold a place in my heart)
Workouts (I am NOT giving that up- or the place would really fall apart!.. but will have to move it to early morning)
Friends (I plan to keep my coffee and lunches out with friends!)
I have been reading background material and have a lot to cover before my traniner comes in at the end of the month. I am really enjoying it though, and though it is a bit scary (it is a franchise type investment), I feel it suits me.
My background is business, and this draws heavily on that, but also on relationships and helping people.
So... a new chapter of life.
God always provides. Just as I was feeling sad my boys are older and really have been through some grieveing, and then drop-in friend "Change" shows up like a nosy neighbor...thank goodness "Balance" is still my old trusted side-kick.
It also told me that again, if I trust in God, all good things will come. He won't let me down. It is easy to be afraid of life, and what changes will happen and what we might 'lose' that we cherish now. But don't fear! Have hope! God provided good things to everyone who trusts in him. It is really true.
I would love your prayers as we negotiate these new changes.. and you know I pray for you all.
2 comments:
Sounds like you have given this a lot of thought. I find it helps me to have a rough schedule or plan for each day and week and I can't live without my diary. Working, running a small busines, my volunteer work, homschooling, household managemt, time with dh and the kids and for me and friends - well, they happen, often more ad hoc than for others but always better with a smidgeon of planning. Plus flexibilty and keeping things simple (we have the simplest meals and do minmalist style of cleaning. Really!).
Keep in touch, let me know how it goes...
Hi Cindy!
I will keep you in my prayers as you walk the "balance" beam of change! =) I know exactly what you are feeling - we've had long email discussions about this! I think I am finally on the other side of all the grieving/confusion, etc. It is like the whole geography of my life had changed and I needed a brand new map to negotiate through it. My art is what I do - and everything else has just fallen into place (although, in the beginning, I had to have ALOT of faith that it would because I just couldn't SEE it...)
Anyway, I am excited for you! Keep us posted!
Post a Comment