Thursday, May 08, 2008

Hospital Stories




Last Tuesday night myself and a group of about 20 were commissioned in our local parish as Pastoral Care Ministers. We completed 32 hours of classroom training and various amounts of clinical training in the hospital. This is my 5th week at the hospital.

I felt a bit like we were ragtag soldiers who had just completed Basic Training. We were quite a diverse, untrained group coming in, most of us wondering how we would ever have enough courage to make visits. But the training by our priest and two deacons, all of hom do pastoral and hospice visits full time, was awesome.

This was way, way out of my box and comfort zone, so I am convinced the Holy Spirit opened all the doors for me.

I thought I might share a story here or there. I will never mention names, dates or locations, but try and just share some of the humanity out there, and how the Holy Spirit is working.

Today, I entered a room which held an elderly man. I thought he was asleep, as he was turned on his side, face away from the door.

Knocking lightly, I called out, Mr. ____ are you awake? He turned slightly and mouthed something I could not understand.

I came closer and realized he was saying that he was in great pain.

I didn't know what to do. It is so hard seeing someone in pain, and I just stood there. Shall I get the nurse? Yes, he nodded.

She came in and discussed it with him, telling him he just had pain medication 30 minutes ago. I left while they worked it out. She told him she would try a different kind and went to get it.

I re-entered the room, not sure what to do. He lay with his eyes closed and I was turning to leave when I saw on his tray rosary beads and a guide book. Probably left there by the Eucharistic Minister, I thought. I checked my printout, yes he was Catholic.

The Holy Spirit must have put the next thought in my head.

I walked to his bed and asked if he would like to pray the Rosary. He looked up and mumbled that he would.

I love the Rosary, but am not in the habit of saying it. Thank goodness the guide book was there. I didn't know what day was which mysteries, so I just chose a set- the Luminous.

I prayed and he lay with his eyes closed. The nurse returned after two mysteries with his new medication.

I left as she helped him swallow the pills.

When she finished I asked if he would like to finish the Rosary.

Yes, he nodded briskly.

We did and I saw that I left out prayers and messed up the order, but as he listened his breathing became regular. He seemed more relaxed, maybe due to the medication, but I think also the wonders of prayer and loveliness of the words of the Rosary.

6 comments:

Leonie said...

Oh,what a blessing, Cindy.I am in hospital now and have had two visits from the friars of our parish, bringing me communion,It has made such a difference for me, esp yesterday when I was really in pain and feeling sick. So I know firsthand what important work you are doing...

Cindy said...

Leonie, praying for your recovery and relief from pain-- and healing!

You made my day.. thank you so much for posting your comment. God bless your friars... I hope to be trained soon to bring communion to the patients.

hugs,
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for taking on such a wonderful yet difficult ministry and for sharing its fruits with us. lois

Cindy said...

Thanks, Lois. It is true what they told us.. we are getting far more out of it than those we visit. Thanks for the comments.. :)
cindy

K said...

Cindy,
This is a beautiful story and testament to how God qualifies the called rather than calls the qualified...

you are awesome!

Neen said...

That is such a wonderful story. I would never have thought to pray the rosary with him. Thanks for being out there.

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels