
In Conversation With God- I cannot recommend this highly enough! It has reflections on each days' Mass readings and my life is significatnly better when I DO read this every day than when I don't. I lapse, but always come back. I bought one volume at a time as there are a total of 5 volumes to get through the liturgical year and they are around $17 each. Worth it. :)

Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose. Amazing story of a the paratroupers who jumped into France ahead of the invasion at D-Day. These were 18, 19, 20 year old boys/men. Brave, ready to be part of something and it does show the horrors of war (which we should never forget) but also the bravery of men.

Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain I began this as a read aloud when my guys were younger and they were so-so about it. But now my 17yo read it and loved it, particulary impressed with Twain's writing style. Now my 14yo is reading it. I loved it, too. Really a great book. Nicely coupled with a recent bio we read on Twain. Now that man had an interesting life, not all peaches and cream that is for sure!

I Robot by Issac Asimov My 17yo is reading this, entralled. Again, impressed with the writing style of Asimov, as it is in flashbacks. I tried to read this a few years ago and could not get into it, but then I am not much for Science Fiction.

Great Deluge
Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans, and the Mississippi Gulf Coast
by Douglas G. Brinkley
Amazing story. I met some people who moved here to Houston after the storm and when you asked what it was like, all they could do was shake their head and say indescribable. I think it must be a lot like describing a war or similar scenario. This book start with the history of New Orleans,(which flooded immediately when it was first founded in the 1700s, but for economic reasons (the port) they shored it up and presssed on). It sits like a 'saucer' with levees all around, and really was/is a disaster waiting to happen. The book also goes into how the storm developed and then what happened with the local government and FEMA. Amazing story. And our friend on the Gulf Coast still need our prayers.
What are you reading at your house?
1 comment:
We loved the book I Robot - and the movie, too. One of the books I am reading is The Valiant Woman by an Archbishop in France in the 1800s. Kinda challenging. Might post about my reading this week.
Post a Comment