
I say 'our' Daniel. The Galveston Houston Dioceese was lucky enough to have him become our bishop, then archbishop and now the Holy Father has named him a cardnial.
And... we just found out tonight he will be saying Mass at our parish on December 4th!
"It will be like Christmas," our pastor said, referring to seating, "So, come early!"
I have only seen Archbishop Dinardo once. He spoke at a fund-raising Knights of Columbus dinner. He has something special. Holiness, but also a spark, a charisma. Of course I wonder if he might be pope one day... but we all think things like that at times.
But during his talk, which took place just as he had become bishop in Houston, he spoke of all the challenges we have. Boy, does Houston have them. All the problems of a big city, homeless, immigration, laxity in the Chruch, etc.
I remember two things he said.
First, that priests, when they consecrate the host are not there to entertain.
"We aren't supposed to be Johnny Carsons." is actaully what he said.
and second, that all the problems- MASSIVE problems we face have one answer. Before we go around trying to piecemeal all the answers to all the problems, we need to focus on one thing: The Eucharist. I knew then he was The Man.
Also my husband told me tonight that Archbishop Dinardo has made a big impact on the prisoners at the prison ministy he volunteers at. He said that during one visit, Archbishop DiNardo sat on a stool and heard confessions out in the yard. The image was striking. It has helped to heal a lot of difficulties between some anti-Catholic Protestant factions within the ministry.
God is Good.
Pray for Daniel.. Our Daniel.. yours and mine.
P.S.- I see from the linked article he was born in Steubenville, Ohio.. figures! So much good comes from there! (Dean Martin for one.. lol)
Story here
2 comments:
LOL What, you say "Dean Martin", but you don't say MARIE?!? ;)
I was just going to say I noticed a front page article about his election (elevation?) as Cardinal in our diocesan newspaper today.
And Marie is from Steubenville!
lol lol lol
!!!!
Post a Comment