Saturday, November 03, 2007

Woo Hoo! I ran 3 miles today!



(<------not me...lol )

I am sooooo excited!
I used to run (well if an 11min mile is called running) all the time from college until I was about 43. Cathy, my buddy in college (they one whose son just got married, see previous post) got me started. We ran every day without fail. I pretty much kept it up and had a baby jogger (back when they were a novelty) and loved running in the suburbs of San Fransciso. Great weather and lots of hills. :)

In Ohio I found another running partner, (another Kathy!) and we were up every morning at 5:45, running. The other moms thought we were crazy and we were, but we had some great talks and great runs. We ran without fail unless the temp was below 10 F or if there was ice.

Then I moved to Houston. Muggy, Hot. Bad air quality. Then I kept putting on weight. When I did run, my shoulders and neck hurt so bad. The stress. I quit. I miss it a lot.

When you run, you are outside- every run is different. And you can 'zone'. That is that kind of runner's high you get after you are in decent shape and you can daydream and your legs seem to move by themselves. I miss that.

Well, today I went to our big park with a trail to do a walk/run. It was beautiful out. I had the Ipod playlist Stephen made for me-- awesome motivating songs! I ran 3 miles.. (with just a few short walk breaks)-- and it felt like old times!

Now, I am just hoping I don't wake up tommorrow with a crunched neck. It may happen.

But I realized as I was on my 3rd lap today that maybe perhaps the 20 pounds I dropped since the summer may have something to do with the successful run? That like runnning carrying 2 gallon water jugs. Wow. And I could still stand to lose 10-15 more pounds, just to get back to where I was in Ohio.

My 'gremlin' voice tells me I never should have gotton so heavy. But that is life. Stress, snacking, comfort eating, no workout plan.. it happens easily. But,my body is feeling so much better and I am even more encouraged to keep going.

3 miles! Whoo Hooo!!!
(O.K. Karen, if you are reading this, find me a 5K in the winter/spring before it gets hot! I'm ready to rumble!)

5 comments:

Leonie said...

I am excited for you - can feel your joy a the run, through your post!

Off to do a Turbo Jam today - one of my joys! lol!

Cindy said...

Thank you Leonie.. I can always count on you for encouragment! lol

And guess what... I woke up today and my neck did't hurt. Yippee!

Have fun with your turbo jam.. I know how much you love them.. and they make you sing! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! I might be able to run a mile if the need was great, i.e., being chased by someone with a weapon....

That does sound so cool, I'm happy you woke with no neck pain!

K said...

Ok... check my running blog for a suggestion. Also the run the woodlands 5K happens every 2nd and 4th Saturday at 8 am... the best part, it only costs a buck!

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Right on, Cindy!

Whoooo hooooo! (that's me cheering from the sidelines with my cup of COFFEE!)! LOL!

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels