Sunday, June 22, 2008

Jasper




I like to draw dogs that I know. I mean dogs I get to know and understand their personalities.

And boy, did I (we) know Jasper!

The boys and I consider him our 'original' customer. Even though we technically had a customer before him, he was our most steady. And one of our most challenging!

(Ironicly, our first customers were Sophie the Great Dane and Bailey the Yellow Lab- Sophie also passed away last year- as Jasper did a couple of weeks ago)

Jasper had quite a life. He was 11 1/2 years old and crochety as they come! Every EVENT must have a treat.

Come in the door. TREAT!

Go for a walk. TREAT!

Come home from walk. TREAT!
Phone rings. TREAT!

You get the idea. My dog (Boomer) is VERY food motivated, too, so I understand. Actually, I am very food motived myself, so can totally relate to incessant whining for food stuffs.

Jasper had all sorts of health problems, so no wonder he was a pill. He would start baying (that is a combonation of barking and screaming) for no apparant reason. He usually did this when I went for a sit alone and thought I would catch up with a friend on my cell phone while he had some play time out of his laundry room.

AHRRRO! AHRROO! AHROOOOO!!!!!
(Ginger, can you attest to this? lol)

But, here is Jasper. The boys say I caught him, here. If you look in his eyes you will see he is just about to get into trouble or start his AHROOs....

We luv you Jasper. You brought a lot of joy to your family, and that is what it is all about. One of God's special creatures who won the lottery of life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute to Jasper! And a lovely drawing, too! =) Thank you for sharing!

carol.t.stevens said...

I just ran across this. Jasper was my sweet dog, and you were so good to him! We love the picture you drew!

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels