
I discovered a very interesting tidbit about dog behavior.
There is a company called Bark Busters who do human training for dog behavior problems. Yup, you heard me right! The Aussie couple who started this business were big into dogs and working in shelters and saw many dogs put down because they were 'unadoptable' due to behavior problems.
They realized it was the humans who had the problems. The problem, is the humans didn't understand how the dogs think- and tried disciplines that made the behavior worse. So they came up with a training program, and in 2 hours will fix any dog, any issue, lifetime guarantee!
I am excited as I have been offered to do a 'ride-along' with a lesson to see how this works. Do you know Cesar, the dog whisperer? Well he *almost* has it right... they are more scientific and actually when Cesar gets people wanting them to train their dogs, he refers them to Bark Busters. Cool!
So, here is the tidbit. I was on a conference call with the company yesterday. (In my new business, I am learning about franchises such as Bark Busters to be able to recommend them to clients looking for businesses)--- and she was explaining the techniques, etc.
She said that when a dog is destructive when the owner leaves it is because the dog is distraught. WHY is the dog distraught? Because this dog thinks HE is the pack leader. And when he sees Miss Owner leave, he thinks one of HIS pack is gone and he is responsible and goes nuts!
But, if you have set the pack order that YOU are the leader, the dog will be calm, because he knows you are returning. YOU are in control and he knows it.
I had learned a lot about dogs and pack mentality, but didn't know that one.
Just fascinating!
(Oh, if you go to the Bark Busters site, be sure and take the quiz to see how your dog rates. Ralphie got a D... lol)
No comments:
Post a Comment