
All animals are equal. Some are just more equal than others.
I am always on the lookout for books for the boys, especially books on tape.
I had considered Animal Farm a couple years back, but sensed it was not time. I remember from high school that the book was a bit dark. But, this time I felt better about it, though I have not read it in 20 years.
B and S both listened to it on the car trip to my parents this Christmas. They liked it. I just finished it today. Very interesting.
It was written in England during Hitler's rise to power. The parallels are fascinating as he used a fable format of animals on a farm to describe fascism and the different personalities involved. The intro is excellent (by Wodehouse) and he explains that a good 'fairy story' does that- syntheses character traits into one simple personality.
We have also had fun thinking about what animals our dogs would be in the story.. Boomer would have to be a pig as he is chubby, greedy and smart enough to lead the other animals, and Ralphie would be a sheep. The sheep are not smart. I grew up on a friend's farm and I KNOW.. sheep are NOT smart.... but good followers.
It is neat, I thought tonight, how the right book comes along at the right time. The boys were ready for this one and know enough of the world to make the connections the author intended. Any younger and it would be scary... how an animal gets killed or is betrayed.. but at this age it is right.
And tonight with the news about Sadaam Hussian's execution. We are praying for him and his soul. The boys have watched his rise and fall. He is part of their experience and we see many parellels between how Napoleon the Pig rose to power and took over Animal Farm through intimidation, lies and strong-arm bodyguards... and Sadaam's rule.
5 comments:
Really neat post, Cindy.
I didn't realize till this morning that Saddam was executed.
I was shocked even though I'd known the ruling - I just lost track of everything with stuff going on.
I'm going to look for this book - seems like there's lots of parallels with LOTR, too...would you say so?
We like Animal Farm - but even more we like Wodehouse - how nice to read his Preface to Orwell's book!
Wodehouse's books are deliciously funny and often satirical. If you are looking for something less dark than Orwell. :-)
Hi Maria-
I liked teh book, but as I mentioned the time was right for us.. I think b/c the boys were older and we have discussed some of the ways of the world-- hitler and facism, hussain and facism... etc... and we have seen how economics work- through the civil war stuff and current events. I don't think I would have introduced them to this if it was for the story's sake, b/c several of the characters come to ill end, and the end is dark... but since we know it is a parody of real people (who are darker..) it was more humorous.
Long tome, here, as you were probably thinking of this for you and not your kids... :0 but my boys would not have been ready until now... and S would not have been ready at 13, where b is now.
But, if you read.. tell me your thoughts!
Leonie, what books do you recommend by Wodehouse? I have heard of him but never read!
I was a bit taken back by the execution. I can't really say that I agree with it. In fact, I don't. Not that it matters now. But really, what benefit is it to have the man dead. All I could think of is that his chances to redeem his soul are over. How terribly sad our Lord must be...
I am concerned that the execution will make SH into a kind of a hero, a martyr...
I recommend the jeeves and Wooster series by Wodehouse - for example, Aunts Aren't Gentlemen...
Post a Comment