Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Gentle Math


Math has never been easy for my ds.

I tried it all. I won't name it all- you name it, I have tried it.

So, the past 2-3 years I have backed off. I still would try things, like living math, literature, puzzles, games, etc. He picked up a lot from his gaming and life. But the computation just gets him. And the curriculum just overwhelms him, even when his attitude is great.

So now that he is older (16) we do more chatting. About what math is. Why or why not it is important. What he might want to do when he grows up (writing is top of the list), what doors math might open. (test scores, etc)

He found a CD curriculum he likes. (least of all evils)

I asked him if he would like help structuring his time. He said yes.

This is like Me, parent, is helping him. But it is such a give and take. I can definitely see the needs he can't but is like I am helping him come to those conclusions on his own. It is gentle.

Before he would work on his own. He wanted to do it alone. I offered to be nearby, as we decided he was getting stuck and frustrated. So, I did yesterday.

I sat and we did the problems together. Together we decided when he could skip ahead. I think he enjoyed it, as much as he can enjoy math.


But the biggest change was in me. This was literally the FIRST time I sat and realized he is where he should be. I didn't have this hidden desire to push him to do more. Or worry that he was 'behind'. We were just where we were. Where we should be. Sharing the moment. Watching him unfold.

It was gentle. I see that there is a real art to 'teaching.' Maybe the great teachers have this and can do it with a classroomful. I really enjoyed it. There was no pressure to meet a certain level. I was just watching him learn.

3 comments:

Leonie said...

How sweet. To see your ds as he is and not as a ninth or tenth grader. :-) So glad to be able to see your blog again!

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Cindy,

I want to try and call you and talk about this!

I need some advice!

Cindy said...

Hey Maria.. Would love to talk with you.. but don't know how much more I can offer.. :) :) :)

You kow this has been a journey for me, so I think I am finally letting go. I think? lol

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels