
The boys and I all just finished a very interesting book called The Man Who Was Poe by Avi.
No mistake, the man is dark This book is written for the kids (but good for teens and adults), it is very interesting... kind of twisty, turney, you are not sure really who the main character is... very enthralling!
We got the audio CDs narrated by David Case, unabridged.
We have read a bit of Edger Allen Poe over the years:The Cask of Amontillado, The Tell-Tale Heart, and The Raven are ones I can think of. We got a bunch on tape a while ago.
This book was interesting because apparantly the writer, Avi (who has no last name that I can see..) really got into Poe's character and made him a character in this story, but this story mirrored much of Poe. Weird. Interesting. It also gave such a clear picture of Providence, Rhode Island at that time, the setting and I am guessing Poe's stomping grounds.
His world was not such a pretty place, but the book was good.
Anyway, wanted to post it. Kind of a departure for us, one reason I love our big library (I found accidentally on a search online there) and could preview it on tape, and we all enjoyed it.
Now I have a hankering to go read those short stories and poems again by Poe. Feel like I know him better now, if Avi was on target. A talented but tormented man. Reminds me a little of Picasso in a way.
=====
After I made this post I went to read The Raven... oh my! You can't help but find the rhthym he intended.. rapping, rapping, rapping at the door... take a peek!
"Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore--
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
"'Tis some visiter," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door--
Only this and nothing more..."
4 comments:
At a homeschool concert the year before last, Thomas, Anthony and I did a rap version of The Raven. The rhythm suits rap.
Have you heard MC Lars' rap version of The Raven? It was on this that we based our performance. :-)
Philip loves Poe's writing. He has two very large anthologies that he bought and talks about alot.
Leonie, I would have LOVED to see the rap version your guys did! What fun!
I should see if I can load it on youtube! here is a link to MC Lars website - he may have a downloadable version of The Raven.
http://mclars.com/
Cool Leonie-- I remember you mentioning the rap performance, forgot it was to Poe! What a perfect poem for that.. it has a real BEAT!
Post a Comment