
Writing and Life
Yesterday I got to read the first chapter of a story my oldest is writing. He wanted me to wait until the entire chapter was complete and then made sure I didn't see notes of plot ideas he had at the end of the document.
He printed it out for me, and I got a fresh cup of decaf, made myself comfy on the couch and dove in.
Note: I am a proud mama, and this is my blog, so I will probably be gushing here. But I get to. You can gush on your blog (or in my comments.. I love gushing!)
As I read the chapter, I, as Mom, could see so much behind it. Little jokes or witticisms that truly encompass his sense of humor. The names of the characters have some history behind them that only a member of the family could discern, but other characters namings remind me a lot of JRR Tolkien's, since he is a big influece in the writing of both sons.
As I read a description, such as 'light filtering onto the forest floor', I caught myself wondering where he pulled that from. Was it a trip we made to the redwoods in California when he was little? A movie he saw? A nature hike we took in Ohio? Or maybe a book he read?
As I read on, with more descriptions, character development, dialog, I realized this little bit of writing is a reflection of his life and experiences thus far. It was fun when I could relate to one in particular and maybe know where it came from, but also fun to hear him come up with something brand new and wonder where it came from.
This ds will be 17 this month, and the past few months have been one of those transitions. We can all list the big ones, even if they are gradual and we don't see them coming:
- Newborn to babyhood and recognizing the world
- Toddlers ready to take on the world fearlessly
- Adolescents coming into thier own
-Teens and all the push pull it requires
I know which one it is: to adulthood. As he makes that path, I feel very lucky that he writes as it helps me see a small slice of the culmination of ideas and impressions he has garnered that are making up who he is.
[Ok, if you are reading this ds, no pressure on your writing. I don't always get this deep. But if you ever write a story with a mean mother in it, you better be careful, and not name her Syndee. lol ]
Yesterday I went to an neighbor's and we had a glass of wine and talked. She is 74.
She asked me about the boys, amazed at their age and height and what the boys want to be when they 'grow up'. I told her they have not pinpointed it, but they both like to write. Now that ds is 17 it is becoming more real that he will be doing something, working out there in the world. I hope he writes. We need some sane writers, especially in the media. And he likes to write, likes working with words.
But, again, I see this gradual transition happening. In the past like most moms, I would think about what they would 'be' how to prepare them, what subjects to cover, etc. But now that I am almost on the other side, I am seeing how truly important it is to nurture their interests, make them important and be involved. Focus on strengths and manage weaknesses.
God is also in his wisdom (at least I am guessing this is a God-thing)- putting just the right people in my path. Of course my dear homeschool friends. But also those and other moms whose kids are up and gone. And love their life post-kids. Well they still have their kids, but they have 'grown up' kids.
Just last week at my spinning class (a new endevor for me) I met a women who has three kids, all grown. She was telling me yesterday how fun it is to be a grandma. I need to hear that. My neighbor said the same.. that she and her dh traveled the world together and have had a very full life.
This is good--- being a mom of babies, then little ones is good.. and then teens... but there is life after. And I am on my way there... like it or not.. but I know I will like it.
I look forward to these adults I am going be have in my life.... :)
9 comments:
What a great post, Cindy! Yes, God is certainly preparing you for the next part of your life. I had a very selfish thought though. What will we do when you no longer have homeschoolers at home?? LOL I can't believe that S is almost 17! That just doesn't seem possible.
It is so neat for me to "see" the results of your years of schooling with them. It is harder for me to see them with my own children. This stuff we do really does work, doesn't it?
Oh my goodness, Karen.. I see it in your kids big time! I can't believe how beautiful and mature Miss B is for example.. and your other kiddos. I think it is harder to see it in our own, which is one reason I posted that. I WANT to notice.
We homeschool moms tend to notice only what we think we lack, you know?
And you mean what will you and I do when I no longer have hsers at home?
Our retreats! Out for tea! Talking about grandkids!
You are not rid of me so fast! lol
Oh and we have to run our marathon/ms150 together.. lol
This was delightful to read! =)
And I want to say it, too: being a Nana is one of the most wonderful pleasures in the world! In fact, on Thursday we are hoping to drive to NC to visit for the day and take David to the movies! =)
It is so hard, though, transitioning from littlies to the young adults - knowing that they will be winging away from us at some point and we are left there with the rest of our lives before us - still mothers, but in a different way. I have days when I just want to cry and hold them close (but of course, they'd freak out if I did that) and keep them small and with me always. Other days I'm so ready for them to grow up...LOL!
Cindy, do you remember when we both had very young, "reluctant writers"? How things have changed, eh? Maybe if we had known then what we know now, we would have had a little more confidence in where the journey would take us.
I try to remember that now that my older ones are stepping out into the world. How my insecurities back then turned into the things I feel good about now: maybe it will be the same for the things that are coming onto the horizon now.
I do love your gushing. I bet the story was great to read.
Hi Cindy - question here - how did you get the picture on your header with the words NEXT TO the picture? I'm trying to add a picture to my header, but it ends up behind the pictures instead and only one side (the left hand side) so there is this wide open blank space on the right hand side. sigh. I'm so blog-challenged. I hate my template,but I don't know how to install a new one other than the Blogger ones.
Thanks!
Hi Donna-
Yes, I love hearing your thoughts about being a Nana.. you have given me much to look forward to.
Willa- yes.. I do rememeber those days! I think one of the things I have had to work the hardest at is to really see the learning and trust- so I can enjoy these years and not worry about what we aren't doing.. you know? And, yes, it is nice to look back. It really is all about relationships.. and a sprinkling of ideas. :)
Donna-
Actually Willa was the one that helped me with my blog... and suggested I go into the template and play around with the settings, after she showed me how to load my own picture in.
I have no ideas why it came out that way. I think it has to do with the picture I chose. Here is the html code from my template:
}
#header {
margin: 0;
padding: 100px 0px 50px 400px;
color: $pagetitlecolor;
background: url(http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1392/1609/1600/calvin.jpg) no-repeat 0px 0px;
;}
After I loaded in the picture I played around with the 'padding' numbers.
I wanted to ask you how you change the 'comments' to read 'joyful expressions'... !
Good luck!
Thanks Cindy - I couldn't find anything in my html that looked like what you have. Darn it! I wish I knew how to just add a brand new template altogether! =)
To change what the "comments" to something else, click on edit link on Blog Posts on your template and there is a little block you can type in whatever you like.
Hope this made sense!
I loved the description in your son's writing, and loved *your* description of his writing. Great fruits!
Post a Comment