Ok, he is my oldest, so not the 'baby' of the family.
But he was my first baby. This is going to be sentimental, so feel free to skip it. I promise to post a cartoon or something tomorrow. lol
Birthdays are pretty special around here and that may be in part because there is just the four of us, we can do them up pretty well. I know big families who also love birthdays but they have them almost every month with all the kids! But around here, July is a big birthday month for Stephen and me, the October for John and Bryan. ;) We only get birthdays twice a year!
We are not celebrating until the weekend as John is out of town on a sales trip. But, of course, we need to mark the day and make it special.
I have loved doing up the day for my boys in years past. Every birthday I make them a 'certificate' framed and signed by the whole family, pets sometimes, too, and grandparents when they are in town. It tells them how special they are and basically gives them a pass from all chores on the big day. The boys each have a wall of certificates framed on their bedroom walls. :)
We are in the habit the past few years of giving the boys a 'starter' present in the morning as John would be working and then we would have our family celebration in the evening, complete with chocolate cake (with homemade butter cream frosting) for dessert. I only make that cake three times a year. It is so rich, that is just enough---oh it is heavenly!
In past years the starter present has often been a video game, and they get to play all day (no limits!)-I also have been known to wrap up beautiful packages containing such things as 7up, Pringles, Almond Joys, Skittles (when they were little) to make the day extra special.
Today I just have a bunch of balloons tied to Stephen's chair. And I wrapped up some beautiful fridge magnets I found at Franklin Covey. One says:
Never never never never never never give up. ~Winston Churchill
The other is a wonderful quote about following your dreams. (it is wrapped so I can't quote it exactly). They will end up on the fridge for us all to see every time we grab a snack or drink.
Later today we follow another tradition that started somehow a few years ago. The boys have a good friend, C.B, and we got in the habit of going the four of us to Olive Garden and ordering soup and breadsticks (and salad for me). It is unlimited! So we go in the non-rush hours, and they bring and bring and bring food and I get to talk with these young men. I take them on each one's birthday- so we get to go 3 times a year. Fun!
I always warn the waiter... prepare to bring LOTS of breadsticks! Seeing three teen boys they always nod knowingly.
So, as I was in the grocery store buying balloons, it hit me. My baby is 17. I tried to survey the years as I walked through the aisles and back to my car. What a privilege it has been to watch him grow up. The past few years have especially been poignant as we see him passing my dh and myself at times in knowledge and insight.
And I see more clearly each year that God created each child, each person so uniquely. The traits I remember when Stephen was 2, are still here at 17. It is who he is through and through. I feel incredibly lucky to have been his mom on this journey.
The I tried to remember his birth day. Oh, that was so long ago. Long, long. I was in such a different place. My faith has grown so much since then (thank you, Lord)- as it was barely on my mind then. I was so young and had such little experience with babies. I know God's graces were with me, as I made many mistakes, but somehow learned. I know he put people in my life. I can see them all, many who I still keep up with and have met in recent years and are reading this now. What a wonderful tapestry life is.
Ok, so my big kids and I are going to enjoy this day, then await our weekend celebrations. I am feeling very lucky these days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours
Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)
About Us
- Cindy
- Texas, United States
- We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity.
That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "
~ Pope John Paul II
~ Pope John Paul II
I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]
Blog Archive
-
▼
2007
(304)
-
▼
July
(27)
- Teaching Company Ideas
- Two Quotes
- The Man Who Was Poe
- Gosh, this tastes good! lol
- My Baby is Seventeen
- First Grade
- Koko Talks
- All About Love
- What Kind of Homeschooling?
- Video Games Live Concert
- Update on Neighborhood Newsletter Editor Postion
- St. Benedict of Nursia
- Help Wanted: Editor for neighborhood newsletter
- Writing and LifeYesterday I got to read the first ...
- Want a Joyful Break?Go check outDonna's site today...
- Quotes on FreedomAs we have pondered freedom and w...
- Spinning
- Another Doggy Family(titles are not working on blo...
- "It makes you let go of something. And it makes yo...
- Our Freedom Cake
- Our Independence Day
- Small Investment, Big Results!
- Every Age Has Its Goals...
- I Don't Blame the Dog... yuck... Duckwater!
- No Wonder I Have an Ulcer...
- Blind Date with a Librarian
- Cat Sit Benefits
-
▼
July
(27)
Labels
- art (9)
- atmosphere (12)
- audio (2)
- books (3)
- comics (11)
- crafts (6)
- creativity (8)
- culture (9)
- current events (10)
- dogsitting (1)
- dvd (3)
- education (23)
- faith (22)
- family (38)
- feasts (5)
- fitness (5)
- flylady (1)
- food (3)
- friends (14)
- fun (14)
- greatbooks (5)
- health (3)
- history (14)
- holidays (3)
- homemaking (20)
- journey (18)
- joy (10)
- learning philosophy (7)
- learning self study (13)
- literature (6)
- liturgical year (6)
- marriage (4)
- math (2)
- media (2)
- meme (1)
- misc (4)
- movies (6)
- music (2)
- noticing (1)
- organization (5)
- parenting (2)
- pegs (2)
- quotes (3)
- real learning (15)
- recipes (8)
- resources (2)
- saints (2)
- SEE-ing learning (4)
- silliness (16)
- teachingcompany (2)
- traditions (5)
- vacation (4)
Labels
- art (9)
- atmosphere (12)
- audio (2)
- books (3)
- comics (11)
- crafts (6)
- creativity (8)
- culture (9)
- current events (10)
- dogsitting (1)
- dvd (3)
- education (23)
- faith (22)
- family (38)
- feasts (5)
- fitness (5)
- flylady (1)
- food (3)
- friends (14)
- fun (14)
- greatbooks (5)
- health (3)
- history (14)
- holidays (3)
- homemaking (20)
- journey (18)
- joy (10)
- learning philosophy (7)
- learning self study (13)
- literature (6)
- liturgical year (6)
- marriage (4)
- math (2)
- media (2)
- meme (1)
- misc (4)
- movies (6)
- music (2)
- noticing (1)
- organization (5)
- parenting (2)
- pegs (2)
- quotes (3)
- real learning (15)
- recipes (8)
- resources (2)
- saints (2)
- SEE-ing learning (4)
- silliness (16)
- teachingcompany (2)
- traditions (5)
- vacation (4)
5 comments:
Cindy,
Blest are you, indeed. And your sons are lucky to have such a loving Mom :)
Birthday wishes to S!
Happy birthday to Stephen - it sounds like a lovely day! It's very cool how special you make their day :-) Creating lots of memories for everyone!
Happy birthday to your son - you are blessed to have your sons! And they are blessed to have such an understanding mother.
Happy Birthday to you and Stephen!
I like your traditions!
Happy birthday to your firstborn! We moms of teen boys are blessed, aren't we!
Post a Comment