Monday, July 30, 2007

Teaching Company Ideas

I just made this post to a list and thought since I wrote it all out it might be of use to friends here.

Also check my labels as I have some more indepth reviews under "teaching company".

Please comment with other TC lectures you and yours have liked!


Libraries often carry their titles. TC fully refunds any lecture for unlimited time. And, they put every lecture series on sale once a year. You can go to their site and request to be put on their email list and they will tell you about sales, etc.

Here are the ones we have seen/heard.

High School Math: (DVD- video)
There are many high school math lectures. I bought them all and reviewed them a couple of years ago. I didn't care too much for them. It was like a standard high school lecture, but with a good teacher. I personally would have liked more hands on than it gave. So they were not for us. (returned them all for full refund, no problem)

These are ones I have watched/ listened to, my boys have not, though I have shared a lot of info with them in passing. Mostly chosen b/c my library had them available and my interests and previewing for boys. I want them to listen to parts of the Augustine one- it was great. And the others are appropriate for teens, too.

History of the English Language (awsome!) audio
St. Augustine’s Confessions (also awesome) audio
From Monet to Van Gogh: A History of Impressionism (on DVD- I learned so much)
How to Listen to and Understand Great Music, 3rd Edition )(OK not my fav) audio
Great World Religions: Hinduism (facinating... I never knew the complexity of this religion and the importance of the country of India) audio
Life and Writings of C. S. Lewis (I have not heard this specific series, but I know the professor personally and have attended many of this CSL and other lectures. Highly recommended)
Old Testament (started- did not like prof's style or world view.. :( ) audio
High School Level—How to Become a SuperStar Student (looked at and didn't care for, a bit too canned for me) video
Aeneid of Virgil (loved it, loved this professor) audio
Classical Mythology ditto - audio
Iliad of Homer ditto- audio
Odyssey of Homer ditto- audio
Shakespeare: The Word and the Action I REALLY wanted to like this but could not get into it! I just can't seem to connect with Shakespeare. :( Wah!

Boys and I both watched/listened to:
Joy of Thinking: The Beauty and Power of Classical Mathematical Ideas ( I really liked.. boys liked ok. They watched first 1/3 or so, plan to suggest it again down the road. Say they didn't get much out of it, but have heard them quote the 'golden triangle' and other concepts later on! lol)

Joy of Science (I really like this one.. kinda wish it was on audio so I could listen to it more. This prof has the premise that science is something all laymen should know and this series of lectures covers ALL disciplines of science (chem, physics, etc) from a 'working knowlege pov. So won't drill down into the depths of each area, but does get into bios of people, formulas and what they mean, how all areas are interrelated, etc. My plan is to keep this as our 'backbone' of science, since my boys are not too into it, though we do manage to cover a lot from their love of animals, health and nutrition and current events ('global warming' and other myths.. lol, etc)
I bought this series and enjoy it for my own learning as well. The boys have watched the first 10 lectures and were getting a bit burned out so we took a break, but I plan to 'suggest' again soon. I see it is on sale now, too.


Life and Work of Mark Twain A friend here loved this as did her 17 yos son. She was not sure he would, but did!

Their website is here.

2 comments:

Leonie said...

We don't have this series here - but they sound really interesting!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, Cindy.

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels