From JRR Tolkien the Man who Created The Lord of the Rings by Michael Coren:
" As the twentieth century was coming to a close, a leading newspaper in Britian decided to conduct an extensive survey of which book people considered the finest of the last hundred years. The result was most revealing, and not what some people had expected at all. More than 25,000 men and women were asked for their opinion, and the book that received by far the most support was The Lord of the Rings. Objections arose, however. So various newspapers and local and nation bookstores in Britain and the United States undertook their own polls. But the results were the same. Tolkien kept winning the race.
The highly esteemed Folio Society in Britain reolved to conduct its own survey, and this time books from any period in history would be included. The Folio Society's 50,000 members were serious readers, connoisseurs of fine literature and not likely to respond to mere fastion. Their choices? Jane Austen's Pride and Predudice did well as did Charles Dicken's David Copperfield, But coming at thev ery top once again was good old Toklein and The Lord of the Rings. "
How cool is this?! I could just see all the intellecutuals asking for a recount! ;)
I enjoyed this little biography on JRRT- it is a scholastic book for older kids. I also started the 'authorized' bio on Tolkien. I always enjoy learning about an author when I begin to know their work.
I am about 3/4 the way through Fellowship of the Rings. I can really see the layers the JRRT has going on... I have some notes from a local professor- the notes he took as he read through the trilogy again in preparation for writing a book on JRRT and CSL. It is helping me see some deeper connections I had not thought of. I also have ordered a book that was recommended to me called Celebrating Middle Earth, which is a series of essays about how LOTR amplifies the Christian (Catholic) faith. One of the essays is by Peter Kreft, whom I enjoy. So, I am looking forward to it.
So, my plug for LOTR. The movies add another dimension. We are finding they are mostly just something to contrast with the real work: the book. I am trying to hurry to finish the book in time for a discussion group that starts here in early September, but otoh, I want to savor this.
You only read LOTR for the first time once.
**Additional comments... added 8/26/06***
I am enjoying the Recorded Books version of LOTR atm. I like books on tape- and especially like them because I can do other things while reading. It allows me to preview book for my boys, too. This is something I could not do when they were younger, as I had to listen for toddlers as much as watch them. But at any rate, it is allowing me to get more 'reading' time in.
I love the Recorded Books version. All three have been put on tape narrated by Rob Inglis. He is supurb! I especially love how he sings the many songs in the book, by various characters. He also breathes life into these characters. I want to go back after I finish listening to the trilogy and read it in text. I know I am missing things- such as names, places and connections as I need time to think and the recorded book presses on.
Here is an interview with Rob Inglis about recording LOTR. They did all three books in 6 weeks. Wow.
Click here for interview with Rob Inglis
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours
Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)
About Us
- Cindy
- Texas, United States
- We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity.
That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "
~ Pope John Paul II
~ Pope John Paul II
I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(116)
-
▼
August
(11)
- More Than Just Singing
- How to Really Love Your Teenager
- Real College
- Real Faith Straight from Dad
- St. Augustine of Hippo- on being too prideful, esp...
- What is really real- and the peace it gives
- The Best Book in Western Literature? :-D
- Life Happens While We Plan
- Susan Schaeffer Macaulley's input on The Knowledge...
- Math Stalker Brought Me Visceral Peace
- Journal/Journeys.. Tomato/To-maH-to
-
▼
August
(11)
Labels
- art (9)
- atmosphere (12)
- audio (2)
- books (3)
- comics (11)
- crafts (6)
- creativity (8)
- culture (9)
- current events (10)
- dogsitting (1)
- dvd (3)
- education (23)
- faith (22)
- family (38)
- feasts (5)
- fitness (5)
- flylady (1)
- food (3)
- friends (14)
- fun (14)
- greatbooks (5)
- health (3)
- history (14)
- holidays (3)
- homemaking (20)
- journey (18)
- joy (10)
- learning philosophy (7)
- learning self study (13)
- literature (6)
- liturgical year (6)
- marriage (4)
- math (2)
- media (2)
- meme (1)
- misc (4)
- movies (6)
- music (2)
- noticing (1)
- organization (5)
- parenting (2)
- pegs (2)
- quotes (3)
- real learning (15)
- recipes (8)
- resources (2)
- saints (2)
- SEE-ing learning (4)
- silliness (16)
- teachingcompany (2)
- traditions (5)
- vacation (4)
Labels
- art (9)
- atmosphere (12)
- audio (2)
- books (3)
- comics (11)
- crafts (6)
- creativity (8)
- culture (9)
- current events (10)
- dogsitting (1)
- dvd (3)
- education (23)
- faith (22)
- family (38)
- feasts (5)
- fitness (5)
- flylady (1)
- food (3)
- friends (14)
- fun (14)
- greatbooks (5)
- health (3)
- history (14)
- holidays (3)
- homemaking (20)
- journey (18)
- joy (10)
- learning philosophy (7)
- learning self study (13)
- literature (6)
- liturgical year (6)
- marriage (4)
- math (2)
- media (2)
- meme (1)
- misc (4)
- movies (6)
- music (2)
- noticing (1)
- organization (5)
- parenting (2)
- pegs (2)
- quotes (3)
- real learning (15)
- recipes (8)
- resources (2)
- saints (2)
- SEE-ing learning (4)
- silliness (16)
- teachingcompany (2)
- traditions (5)
- vacation (4)
No comments:
Post a Comment