Thursday, August 24, 2006

Life Happens While We Plan

This story is a familiar one. But I wanted to jot it down.

I have been organizing a LOTR discussion group for teens/adults in my area. My boys are both really into the books now. I want to write more on LOTR because it has affected our lives from so many aspects. And I am so glad I stuck with it and like it now. That right there, is a real life lesson I can share with the boys.

Anyway, my sons are not into group things. We have tried many over the years and some were OK, but they are more of one-on-one guys. Cool. (now- but it took me a few years to get to this point...)

I still offer things about town. I also suggest and offer to help set up things now and then. A few weeks ago I suggested to my 16yo that we start a LOTR discussion group. Either online or IRL. He really enjoys the Star Wars blog and a private chat room with his brother and 2 other buddies. They really dig into plot, characters and all. Nice discussion, I have seen him really find his voice.

Also with his brother and friends (one at a time.. just as he has told me he prefers all these years), he is enjoying freindly debate. Discussion. I go out for coffee for two hours with a friend and my sons (and a friend if he is available) get their own table and talk for hours. About video games, Star Wars, LOTR. Things that matter. And LOTR has so much depth to discover.

So, anyway, I offered to set up a group. Online was OK with me. But my son said in person would be ok. Ok is a big approval stamp for this understated teen.

So, I'm doing what moms do and setting it up. Sent out a few emails, talked with my son to pick a place (coffee shop) and day. (afternoon- no mornings!)

Now for the main point I have taken a while to get to... today I was on email sending out some info to interested families and I heard the boys talking upstairs. They had a 17yo friend over and were playing the LOTR video game with him. (Which is excellent, I hear).

I listened for a bit at the bottom of the stairs. They were discussing the VG, movie and book comparing plot and the presentation of characters.

While I was planning the disussuion, the discussion was happening.

Life goes on.. the road goes ever on and on...

1 comment:

Leonie said...

This fits in with your thoughts on the philosophy of discussion - and of unschooling. Sometime, I panic and think - we are not doing xyz - but while I am in panic mode the chidlren just keep on learning - maybe doingx but not y - and that is okay! :-)

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels