I wonder what the root of the word journey and journal is? Must be the same- as I see how closely one is tied with the other.
I have been writing a bit about ideas, organizing, etc on
Dog Days and it is seeping into journeys. I really want to go back and read all I have written here and may tomororow, but don't have the eye power tonight. I am curious where I was when I started this blog and if I have changes course at all.
That is where it is so fascinating to see how the journals we write can document where we were at a point in time. Then to read it again weeks/months/years later can shed enormous light on our beliefs and growth.
I mentioned on Dog Days that I went back and looked at a binder I have kept for years. It is called:
Home Education
Journal and Notes
I printed out the title sheet in friendly colors and print, but going back into it I see it was pretty serious. I have tabs for all the usual subjects and jotted neat ideas and resources in there. But reading the contents I felt my jaw tighten a bit. I was not sure why. There are some good books and a few really good emails I printed out from various lists.
But I think the jaw-tension was due to an underlying current that I was taking ideas that I should want to do. They all looked great on paper. But they were someone else's ideas of what looked good. Now, actually some are ok... but I really got this feeling that I was still trying to work someone else's plan.
This said, I have a Latin phrase now plastered on my fridge. (Again see Dog Days if you are curious what it is!)
I know, I wrote on this blog earlier I could not find a reason why we should study Latin. Well, I just decided it is cool. Well, and when reading the LOTR and hearing the elfen language it reminded me of the roots I felt I was in contact with when we studied Latin a few years ago.
So, part of the journey is being open to change.
I wonder how much more enriching the Journey is when one does have a journal to read.
Loads, I bet.
So, back to the Knowledge Party.
I have been writing on DD about ideas. I tend to overthink/overplan/overdo. So, people like me have to be careful what they decide to 'implement'. That was a big word for me in times past. But I think now I can be looser. I like the idea of Post It Notes as a friend. :)
I feel like I am starting a knowledge carnival. But I can stop the rides anytime I like, if things get too overwhelming. I really love learning. There is so much neat stuff out there. But I have given myself permission to dip into whatever looks good. Latin or ladybugs.
I also see the boys off on some really good tangents. I want to go down those roads too, but know my other motto will be crucial- authenticity. I have these boys who do not like things contrived. But they also have really liked some things I have introduced them to, like LOTR. Just yesterday my 16yos was saying how he used to think it was so boring.. and now it is just so cool.
Oh.. on that subject.. I finally am getting into the books, too! So happy. Another post.
God Bless,
Cindy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours
Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)
About Us
- Cindy
- Texas, United States
- We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity.
That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "
~ Pope John Paul II
~ Pope John Paul II
I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(116)
-
▼
August
(11)
- More Than Just Singing
- How to Really Love Your Teenager
- Real College
- Real Faith Straight from Dad
- St. Augustine of Hippo- on being too prideful, esp...
- What is really real- and the peace it gives
- The Best Book in Western Literature? :-D
- Life Happens While We Plan
- Susan Schaeffer Macaulley's input on The Knowledge...
- Math Stalker Brought Me Visceral Peace
- Journal/Journeys.. Tomato/To-maH-to
-
▼
August
(11)
Labels
- art (9)
- atmosphere (12)
- audio (2)
- books (3)
- comics (11)
- crafts (6)
- creativity (8)
- culture (9)
- current events (10)
- dogsitting (1)
- dvd (3)
- education (23)
- faith (22)
- family (38)
- feasts (5)
- fitness (5)
- flylady (1)
- food (3)
- friends (14)
- fun (14)
- greatbooks (5)
- health (3)
- history (14)
- holidays (3)
- homemaking (20)
- journey (18)
- joy (10)
- learning philosophy (7)
- learning self study (13)
- literature (6)
- liturgical year (6)
- marriage (4)
- math (2)
- media (2)
- meme (1)
- misc (4)
- movies (6)
- music (2)
- noticing (1)
- organization (5)
- parenting (2)
- pegs (2)
- quotes (3)
- real learning (15)
- recipes (8)
- resources (2)
- saints (2)
- SEE-ing learning (4)
- silliness (16)
- teachingcompany (2)
- traditions (5)
- vacation (4)
Labels
- art (9)
- atmosphere (12)
- audio (2)
- books (3)
- comics (11)
- crafts (6)
- creativity (8)
- culture (9)
- current events (10)
- dogsitting (1)
- dvd (3)
- education (23)
- faith (22)
- family (38)
- feasts (5)
- fitness (5)
- flylady (1)
- food (3)
- friends (14)
- fun (14)
- greatbooks (5)
- health (3)
- history (14)
- holidays (3)
- homemaking (20)
- journey (18)
- joy (10)
- learning philosophy (7)
- learning self study (13)
- literature (6)
- liturgical year (6)
- marriage (4)
- math (2)
- media (2)
- meme (1)
- misc (4)
- movies (6)
- music (2)
- noticing (1)
- organization (5)
- parenting (2)
- pegs (2)
- quotes (3)
- real learning (15)
- recipes (8)
- resources (2)
- saints (2)
- SEE-ing learning (4)
- silliness (16)
- teachingcompany (2)
- traditions (5)
- vacation (4)
2 comments:
Cindy, I think both the words come from the Latin word for "day". From my high school French I remember that "jour" means "day". So it's sort of interesting and possibly profound, that both your blogs have to do with days, or daily things. From an etymology-geek friend, : )
I think anything from Latin to ladybugs is cool, too. ;-)...
From your ladybug-geek friend...
Post a Comment