Wednesday, October 04, 2006

New Territory

Tonight I did something that 10 years ago I never could have imagined I would do.

I am working with Lighthouse Catholic Media. It is strange enough that I am doing anything related to sales. I never saw myself doing that. But this came into my life so naturally. And I love the CDs. I get to download them all for free (being a distibutor), so my boys are way up on listening material, as is my dh.

Tonight I was invited to present to a men's Bible study group at a parish I have been talking with. A wonderful Catholic man who teaches the study thought the men's group might fund the intial outlay to get the ministry started and wanted them to understand the product.

I took my husband. We each had a unique story to tell. His was of a cradle Catholic who loved his faith but had drifted a bit. Mine was of a convert who found the truth while searching for information to talk her Catholic husband out of the Church.

Tonight we stood in the classroom of this small Catholic school in front of 15 men we did not know and told our stories. Then I gave the presentation that is becoming so familiar to me- how Lighthouse works in the parish and spreads the truth. We answered a few questions, then left.

On the way home, I asked my dh (who is a thoughtful introvert and also crack sales person and presenter) how I did. He said good. He raved to the boys when we got home how 'top notch' Mom was. lol Well, all those Charlotte Mason presentations paid off! But really it was enjoyable because this is good stuff and it came pretty easy. Though I was tense at the begining and felt I did not connect until the end when I spoke of my love for the Church, which came about in a large part due to learning about the Church, which is what Lighthouse is all about.

Anyway, we got home and the leader of the Bible study called. Someone in the room donated a check for $1000.00 to get the ministy started.

My dh joked that he can quit his job and fish. Yeah right. I think I spent more on ink and printer paper and gas than I will make in this little commission. But that is OK. It is spreading the gospel and the Church and my husband and I had a great time together. We stood up in front of a group of strangers and told our stories. I never thought I would do that. Just call us Scott and Kimberly. lol

And of course the boys got an earful when we got home. I told B next time he should give a 2 minute talk about the CDs he has listened to and how they have affected his life. He said no. But the seed is planted...

Speaking of seeds, I have this image. I can see the two parishes who have ordered Lighthouse in my mind. I can see the people I will be working with to help promote it and help it grow in the pairsh. The CD stands seem kind of like little plants that we will work together to make grow... once they order it, it just begins. We help them nuture it, help the parishoners see what is there, how to use the CDs in other educational minsitries.. etc.

This is really all so new and very exciting. I have been out of my comfort zone many times. A very hard part for me has been to call pastors I don't know and ask for an appointment. But as I told my dh this is not hard in that it is all good and if I fail, then it was not meant to be. If we do get an order, then I know God was helping. Talk about no quota pressure. :)


OK, I promised to make him popcorn, so gotta go.

God Bless

2 comments:

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

This is neat, Cindy.

An interesting direction in which you're being led!

Awesome.

Leonie said...

Wow! Well done, Cindy. I bet you are a super speaker - I can hear you in your posts..

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels