Monday, October 30, 2006

My 'Vacation' with my 13yos

As I mentioned in previous posts, my ds and dh are lounging on the beaches of Florida and wining and dining Grandma on today, her 87th birthday.

B, my 13yo, and I are holding down the fort here. Here is some of what we have done:

- Watched Fellowship of the Rings
- I watched The Two Towers and yelled upstairs to him with questions when I was confused on battle names, places or characters. (He is waiting until his brother gets home to watch it with him.)
-Played tennis 3 nights. Tonight the winner had to pay the loser 100 imaginary dollars.
-Went to our local LOTR discussion group.
-Took him and two of his friends to tennis lessons.
-Watched the first half of Gone with the Wind. The library disc stopped working after Atlanta burned. Talked about GWTW and the Civil War.
-Ran errands today. I picked up an order for Lighthouse, we went by the grocery and I bought him a Chick Fil A sandwich as a treat for lunch.
-Discussed the movies we have watched.
-Discussed the tennis lessons and the personalities of the players and coach.
-Went to Mass Sunday. Talked about All Saints' Day and which Mass we should attend. I told him about the All Soul's Cake I plan to make.
-Did a little light cleanup of the house.
-Talked in the car a lot. (His brother is gone so he has only me to talk to)
-Talked on the phone to the other half of our family in Florida. B and S call each other about 5 times a day. We got regular fishing reports.
-Discussed politics and the upcoming elections. Q: "Mom, do you think Rush Limbaugh is too conservative?" A discussion then ensued about the difference between being a conservative (economic and social) and a Republican, and he later quizzed me as to whether I had done my pre-voting research. (Not Yet)
-Discussed voting polls after watching part of a news report on it on TV. The discussion then got onto statistics and error of margin... and on.
-Discussed the making of LOTR and how it compared to Star Wars.
-Discussed the Civil War re-enactment coming to a nearby town next month and if it will depict an actual battle in history.
-Disucssed plans about visiting ext'd family over the holidays and how to decide when and who we can visit.
-Discussed some of my Lighthouse client parishes and which have been difficult and which have been easy and why. Talked about what I am learning in sales and problem solving and my next steps.
-Discussed weather patterns and how we always seem to have great tennis weather on Friday.
Etc...

So, though we didn't do a lot we did.

It was funny, I was feeling out of kilter this weekend. I told a friend at my exercise studio that it was just my son and me this weekend. I told her we might cook or do something else and that he was on the phone the night before for an hour with his brother.

She looked at me a bit strangely and said "They are really close, aren't they? That is not usual for kids."

No. I guess not. I told her I think a large part is because they are home and not separated by grade levels. Before I homeschooled I would arrange my 6yo to play with other 6 year olds and my 3yo to be around kids his age. But homeschooling, then moves brought them together. And they have stayed that way.

We are looking forward to his brother getting home tomorrow, but I have enjoyed my time alone with my youngest. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay - that's a sad commentary on family :-/ my dc may fight, but when they are apart they miss each other and spend quite a bit of time on the phone together. i think it is usual for healthy families to be close!! it sounds like you are enjoying your time with just one of your ds's ;-) it always gives me a different perspective when i have some one-on-one with my dc...

Cindy said...

I know Beate. It is so interesting to go 'out into the world' and see the general view of how people see kids, family, relationship, etc. But then again, I was right in that place when I worked and before having kids.

I find it hard because I want to share about our family... :) and also because I hope to encourage others to look more within. But I don't want to come off sounding like some perfect parent (we all know I'm not in danger of that)-- but even more so I think today parents think kids should have the indepdence... it reminds me of the Hillary Clinton undertow.. that seperation.

I am finding the seperation comes naturally. The kids will not all bejoined at the hip until age 30. It is so marvelous to see it naturally unfold...


That is cute about how your kids connect via phone when apart! My dh and I do the same.. lol Absence make the heart grow fonder.. I think it is really true!

:)

Leonie said...

It was very cool for me to read about all the fun things you and your ds did together - so nice to hear of a mum and a teen enjoying each other's company.

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels