I shouldn't have to do this, because Leonie's blog is listed over in my side bar...it is Living Without School...
see? ----------------------->
But here is a nice post on strewing, for anyone who has not visited it recently. One thing I like about Leonie's writing is she gets her point across quick. Of course I like Willa because she is so deep, I don't mind at all reading her long posts.. (see Every Waking Hour). Then there is Maria, (Tater Tots, et al) who is so fun.
This post is getting away from me.
Here's the link to Leonie's post
I stopped and thought about the strewing I have (or have not) done lately.
My boys are different, in that typical strewing does not work as well for them. It does pretty good for my 13yo.... but my 16yo is less likely to pick something up I leave out. However, he is very willing to try something I directly give him. And, that has changed over the years. I remember back a few years when he was very relunctant to try things I suggested. Now he is. I think it is probably a combo of maturity and me trying to give him good stuff. A lot is maturity.
But, back to strewing. We had some nice unintentional strewing. Or maybe strewing by habit.
Some things we strewed lately:
- Our new priest from India came to dinner. We (my dh mostly) made him a full homemade mexican style dinner. We had to say 'pico de gallo' three times for him to get it. We realized how different we are from him.. in personality and culture. We learned a bit about his background and family. As our bigger dog planted himself under Father's chair at dinner and methodically scratched the carpet, we learned that in India dogs are not allowed in the house and nobody dared told him where Boomer and Ralphie sleep...:)
- Video games. Our new teen got quite a few for his birthday. They have strewed for me as they explain the games to me.
- Books- B got several books for his birthday, including one on tennis poetry and one on mysteries of the world.
-Conversations on history from my reading of St. Francis of Asissi.
I like the idea of a strewing table, such as Leonie posted. Funny how that seems to work somewhat well for one child, but the other is not one to 'pick things up.' It is almost like I research and strew and share it with him.
But I think it has a lot to do with temperment. I am finding I like that word better than 'personality'. Probably from readng The Temperment God Gave You I like it's Catholic viewpoint and the way it explains temperments.
Strewing, like all things, can be very individual. I found over the years it is OK if it 'doesn't take'.... often I would think we couldn't unschool because strewing 'didn't work'. But, I know that it is just one tool, and can be used many different ways. Well, one more thing I can't get all worried about. Amazing how we find those things.
I might try the coffee table idea again.. though it is always covered with books.. mine, my dh's, the boys'... but you know kids change, and maybe my older one would pick something new up?
I guess I am really rambling now. Will post more on strewing later. As, I am in reserach mode now (I love these energy surges I have when I am!) and see what goodies I find. I also know that not all will take. Something that took me a few years to figure out.
God Bless,
Cindy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours
Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)
About Us
- Cindy
- Texas, United States
- We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity.
That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "
~ Pope John Paul II
~ Pope John Paul II
I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(116)
-
▼
October
(20)
- My 'Vacation' with my 13yos
- I love those 2 specks!
- Some Real Learning- Gone With the Wind
- All Saints/All Souls Day
- Rest Stop on the Journey
- Phases of Life
- Thoughts on Atmosphere
- Simple Keys to Joyful Homeschooling
- What's Up
- The Catholic Home
- More Letting Go- Our LOTR group
- Tough Homily
- New Territory
- Just What Is it I Do All Day?
- Staying in Touch with the Holy Spirit
- Strewing
- A Fridge Says a Lot about One..
- My Dryer Broke
- A Milestone
- Celebrating Feast Days
-
▼
October
(20)
Labels
- art (9)
- atmosphere (12)
- audio (2)
- books (3)
- comics (11)
- crafts (6)
- creativity (8)
- culture (9)
- current events (10)
- dogsitting (1)
- dvd (3)
- education (23)
- faith (22)
- family (38)
- feasts (5)
- fitness (5)
- flylady (1)
- food (3)
- friends (14)
- fun (14)
- greatbooks (5)
- health (3)
- history (14)
- holidays (3)
- homemaking (20)
- journey (18)
- joy (10)
- learning philosophy (7)
- learning self study (13)
- literature (6)
- liturgical year (6)
- marriage (4)
- math (2)
- media (2)
- meme (1)
- misc (4)
- movies (6)
- music (2)
- noticing (1)
- organization (5)
- parenting (2)
- pegs (2)
- quotes (3)
- real learning (15)
- recipes (8)
- resources (2)
- saints (2)
- SEE-ing learning (4)
- silliness (16)
- teachingcompany (2)
- traditions (5)
- vacation (4)
Labels
- art (9)
- atmosphere (12)
- audio (2)
- books (3)
- comics (11)
- crafts (6)
- creativity (8)
- culture (9)
- current events (10)
- dogsitting (1)
- dvd (3)
- education (23)
- faith (22)
- family (38)
- feasts (5)
- fitness (5)
- flylady (1)
- food (3)
- friends (14)
- fun (14)
- greatbooks (5)
- health (3)
- history (14)
- holidays (3)
- homemaking (20)
- journey (18)
- joy (10)
- learning philosophy (7)
- learning self study (13)
- literature (6)
- liturgical year (6)
- marriage (4)
- math (2)
- media (2)
- meme (1)
- misc (4)
- movies (6)
- music (2)
- noticing (1)
- organization (5)
- parenting (2)
- pegs (2)
- quotes (3)
- real learning (15)
- recipes (8)
- resources (2)
- saints (2)
- SEE-ing learning (4)
- silliness (16)
- teachingcompany (2)
- traditions (5)
- vacation (4)
2 comments:
Love your recent strewing ideas!
Thanks Leonie.... fun to trade experiences and ideas.. isn't it? :)
Post a Comment