Oh, yeah... I started this blog to talk about the journey.
A lot of the old posts are ramblings, perhaps even stream of consciencnesses (is the the proper plural) of discerning how learning happens, what my role is in my dc's learning and keeping it real.
Real.
Real.
Humm.
Sometimes I don't know what is real. I mean outside my home. I am beginning to understand what is real here. And to find that I found I had to seperate the 'white from the rice' - as I told a yankee friend of mine who got a giggle out of it.
How to seperate. I had to:
Look at my boys for who they are.
Understand their world.
See their learning.
Seperate their goals and needs from mine (as in justifying my homeschool role and imposing things upon them that are really to satisfy me)
Stop trying to look good to others.
Keep Christ in my life and try to answer to him only. (still working on this and failing a lot)
Stop reading many blogs/site/lists out there that made me veer off real-ness- know my heart and keep my focus. Know when to look out and when to look within.
Actively be involved in the boys and their lives and give them what they did need (after seperating out what they did not)
My boys are happy at home. I hear about kids who are not and realize that my reality is not the same as others' realities. So it is hard to talk about what is real, because what is real for me may be different than for others.
But, I still wonder about how to keep it real and connect with others and gain that support and comradery, but not subcumb to the outside 'lists' and 'expectations'. Now, I am all for both of those things when they are needed. But tell me, how does an average mom like you or me keep that seperate?
In thinking about my journey and trying to stay on track, here is an example. There has been a mild uproar about Dr. Phil and his show putting homeschooling in a bad light.
I didn't read any of it. Why? Because I am on my path, my journey. I know the critics. And I also know the media. They do anything for ratings.
I also know I would watch/read it and think about all the people in my extended family, neighbors and others who do NOT KNOW homeschooling, have never tried it and I would imagine them watching that show. Then next time I saw them I would imagine them harboring those thoughts.
Is this productive? Is it the thoughts God wants me to have?
I suspect 'no.' At least not right now- maybe in few years when I write my book lol and my boys are off and gone then maybe I will be the media watchdog for homeschooling. But not right now.
So, on this journey for the real. Sometimes I am out of step, but usually fall back in. On ward through the fog...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours
Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)
About Us
- Cindy
- Texas, United States
- We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity.
That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "
~ Pope John Paul II
~ Pope John Paul II
I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(116)
-
▼
October
(20)
- My 'Vacation' with my 13yos
- I love those 2 specks!
- Some Real Learning- Gone With the Wind
- All Saints/All Souls Day
- Rest Stop on the Journey
- Phases of Life
- Thoughts on Atmosphere
- Simple Keys to Joyful Homeschooling
- What's Up
- The Catholic Home
- More Letting Go- Our LOTR group
- Tough Homily
- New Territory
- Just What Is it I Do All Day?
- Staying in Touch with the Holy Spirit
- Strewing
- A Fridge Says a Lot about One..
- My Dryer Broke
- A Milestone
- Celebrating Feast Days
-
▼
October
(20)
Labels
- art (9)
- atmosphere (12)
- audio (2)
- books (3)
- comics (11)
- crafts (6)
- creativity (8)
- culture (9)
- current events (10)
- dogsitting (1)
- dvd (3)
- education (23)
- faith (22)
- family (38)
- feasts (5)
- fitness (5)
- flylady (1)
- food (3)
- friends (14)
- fun (14)
- greatbooks (5)
- health (3)
- history (14)
- holidays (3)
- homemaking (20)
- journey (18)
- joy (10)
- learning philosophy (7)
- learning self study (13)
- literature (6)
- liturgical year (6)
- marriage (4)
- math (2)
- media (2)
- meme (1)
- misc (4)
- movies (6)
- music (2)
- noticing (1)
- organization (5)
- parenting (2)
- pegs (2)
- quotes (3)
- real learning (15)
- recipes (8)
- resources (2)
- saints (2)
- SEE-ing learning (4)
- silliness (16)
- teachingcompany (2)
- traditions (5)
- vacation (4)
Labels
- art (9)
- atmosphere (12)
- audio (2)
- books (3)
- comics (11)
- crafts (6)
- creativity (8)
- culture (9)
- current events (10)
- dogsitting (1)
- dvd (3)
- education (23)
- faith (22)
- family (38)
- feasts (5)
- fitness (5)
- flylady (1)
- food (3)
- friends (14)
- fun (14)
- greatbooks (5)
- health (3)
- history (14)
- holidays (3)
- homemaking (20)
- journey (18)
- joy (10)
- learning philosophy (7)
- learning self study (13)
- literature (6)
- liturgical year (6)
- marriage (4)
- math (2)
- media (2)
- meme (1)
- misc (4)
- movies (6)
- music (2)
- noticing (1)
- organization (5)
- parenting (2)
- pegs (2)
- quotes (3)
- real learning (15)
- recipes (8)
- resources (2)
- saints (2)
- SEE-ing learning (4)
- silliness (16)
- teachingcompany (2)
- traditions (5)
- vacation (4)
3 comments:
Cindy, I think the realness is different for each of us - but keeping it real ( authentic?) is the right journey. Love your thoughtful posts.
Oh, I agree, Leonie! And it has taken me some time to realize that sometimes I need to go read/see/be involved and sometimes I need to just pull in and contemplate my own family and where we are.
It also helps with the comparing.. to know that we are at different places than others at times. I admire the moms who are taking on Dr. Phil head on, but that is not where I need to be right now.
Thank God for the wonderful specturm of families.
But, I do find it is easy for me to think I should have my finger in all the pies. What a relief to know sometimes I am just to be still and contemplate.. :)
You go, Cindy. Real....
What I don't like in any group is the feeling of being embattled and defending and not being willing to look at what IS real in our lives. Homeschooling is not a panacea. It's just what we're doing.
Paying attention to our lives, our kids, our selves.... that's where the growth happens.
Julie
Post a Comment