I just reconnected with a freind who I used to see all the time. Even though we have not seen each other much in the past couple of years, we still have a connection. Our lives are on different 'flight patterns' as I like to say.
We talked on the phone and were reminissing about the 'old days'. The days we used to see each other a lot, were in the same groups, working on the same projects, and exploring similar areas of life.
She talked about how we go through phases of life, and I could really connect to what she said.
I am in a much different place now than I was 5 years ago. I bet anyone reading this might feel the same.
All these phases are good. God has so much to give. Sometimes it is hard to let go. But let go we must. And he always has something really good for us around the next corner.
Last night I watched a rather quirky movie called Wrestling with Hemmingway. Not to give away the story, but one of the main characters was aging. He was also trying to recapture his youth. He didn't. He saw it slipping away. I was depressed after watching that and it was not until this morning driving to my exercise class that I realized what I had missed.
That was another character who was also aging, but he was living life. Reaching out. Being in the moment and looking forward to what was next. It also reminded me that maybe God has a job for this old character- losing your youth is not the death toll, as we are led to believe.
Maybe it means praying daily for the world, being a granddaddy to a little person, or reaching out (even in an old, bumbling, ineffiecint, can't see anything without my glasses way) and being present in life.
So, I ended up being very uplifted by the movie.
I am looking forward to the next phase and also am happy because I think my old friend might be in it more... like old times.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours
Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)
About Us
- Cindy
- Texas, United States
- We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity.
That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "
~ Pope John Paul II
~ Pope John Paul II
I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(116)
-
▼
October
(20)
- My 'Vacation' with my 13yos
- I love those 2 specks!
- Some Real Learning- Gone With the Wind
- All Saints/All Souls Day
- Rest Stop on the Journey
- Phases of Life
- Thoughts on Atmosphere
- Simple Keys to Joyful Homeschooling
- What's Up
- The Catholic Home
- More Letting Go- Our LOTR group
- Tough Homily
- New Territory
- Just What Is it I Do All Day?
- Staying in Touch with the Holy Spirit
- Strewing
- A Fridge Says a Lot about One..
- My Dryer Broke
- A Milestone
- Celebrating Feast Days
-
▼
October
(20)
Labels
- art (9)
- atmosphere (12)
- audio (2)
- books (3)
- comics (11)
- crafts (6)
- creativity (8)
- culture (9)
- current events (10)
- dogsitting (1)
- dvd (3)
- education (23)
- faith (22)
- family (38)
- feasts (5)
- fitness (5)
- flylady (1)
- food (3)
- friends (14)
- fun (14)
- greatbooks (5)
- health (3)
- history (14)
- holidays (3)
- homemaking (20)
- journey (18)
- joy (10)
- learning philosophy (7)
- learning self study (13)
- literature (6)
- liturgical year (6)
- marriage (4)
- math (2)
- media (2)
- meme (1)
- misc (4)
- movies (6)
- music (2)
- noticing (1)
- organization (5)
- parenting (2)
- pegs (2)
- quotes (3)
- real learning (15)
- recipes (8)
- resources (2)
- saints (2)
- SEE-ing learning (4)
- silliness (16)
- teachingcompany (2)
- traditions (5)
- vacation (4)
Labels
- art (9)
- atmosphere (12)
- audio (2)
- books (3)
- comics (11)
- crafts (6)
- creativity (8)
- culture (9)
- current events (10)
- dogsitting (1)
- dvd (3)
- education (23)
- faith (22)
- family (38)
- feasts (5)
- fitness (5)
- flylady (1)
- food (3)
- friends (14)
- fun (14)
- greatbooks (5)
- health (3)
- history (14)
- holidays (3)
- homemaking (20)
- journey (18)
- joy (10)
- learning philosophy (7)
- learning self study (13)
- literature (6)
- liturgical year (6)
- marriage (4)
- math (2)
- media (2)
- meme (1)
- misc (4)
- movies (6)
- music (2)
- noticing (1)
- organization (5)
- parenting (2)
- pegs (2)
- quotes (3)
- real learning (15)
- recipes (8)
- resources (2)
- saints (2)
- SEE-ing learning (4)
- silliness (16)
- teachingcompany (2)
- traditions (5)
- vacation (4)
1 comment:
I am praying so!
Post a Comment