Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Organizing for the New Year and "Why You Can't Let Go"

I don't usually do formal resolutions, but still find the new year gives me a feeling of a clean slate, a fresh start. That coupled with me feeling adrift the past month has put a bug in me to organize. Leonie also gave me inspiration!

I want to pay the bills and keep on top of it. I want to have papers I need at my fingertips. I want to reduce clutter. I want to have a central place for my work and planning- my office.

So, yesterday I spent most all day putting together my office. It was makeshift, but I went though all my old homeschool files (yes!) and threw out a bunch. I organized my two little businesses (Happier at Home! Petsitting and Lighthouse Catholic Media) and printed out labels for all my files. That is the first time I ever printed labels.

Now I open my file drawer and experience bliss!

I know I need order, but I have to be careful not to translate this need into a control thing with my boys' learning. So, I am re-reading this article to help me remember why I think I need curriculum.. and when I really don't.

It is all a balance... and I have to keep seperating my needs from their, while trying to really see theirs as well. If this makes sense... :) How to use the tools available without becoming a slave and forgetting what real learning looks like.
I liked a lot of this article:
Why You Can't Let Go

Some excerpts I liked- the first about why curriculum draws us:

"We may each have our own list of pros but some of the pros of curriculum for us parents that I came up with are that it:

1) Removes the burden and responsibility of choice so we can feel confident the kids are getting the right information in the right way.
2) Provides feedback that "important" learning is taking place. It eases our worries about whether kids are getting what they need because "academic" knowledge seems artificial, as though it can't be learned from life."

And I love the whole ending of the article:

"So think in terms of joy rather than need to or important. One cool connection or one good feeling about Egypt with the doorway open and available anytime they want to explore further will serve them far better than a bushel of so called important facts that will fade from disuse and lack of interest.

Think in terms of creating a lifetime learner rather than creating a standard foundation or framework. If we give them the gift of confidence that they can learn anything they decide to, that there's no time limit to learning, no point when they're done, then we've opened every door possible for them.

Think in terms of right now. Today. Help them be who they are right now. They are 4 and 6 and 12 for a reason. School kids spend their childhoods preparing to be adults. Let them be who they are now. After all we didn't worry about them discussing poop and Teletubbies when they were toddlers even though it didn't sound like it was preparing them to be corporate directors or doctors or even first graders. We knew they'd get linguistically where they needed regardless of what path through language they took.

Think in terms of a journey rather than a destination. They're not locked in towards some specific destination but on a lifetime journey of exploration and discovery that they can take anywhere they want to.

Think in terms of nurturing your own enthusiasm about life rather than nurturing their enthusiasm. Don't jump up and down about George Washington if he puts you to sleep. Be honest in your pursuit of what interests you. Let them see that you think something is really cool. Not to get them interested in something you think would be good for them but an honest "Wow! I love this stuff!" And ask questions about life. Be curious. Because it's the questions that are important. Anyone can look up the answers but not everyone can ask the questions.

Think in terms of nurturing your own interests rather than waiting to pounce on their interests. Tackle some new recipe for yourself, not because you want them to join you. But if you do have a choice, doing things in a kid friendly way creates an inviting joyous atmosphere. You're more likely to have company in the garden if you plant a beanpole teepee than if you plant a field of rutabagas.

Think in terms of creating an atmosphere of wonder where people are genuinely curious about life and where there are intriguing things to be curious about. Not because that's what would be good for them, but as a gift to them with no strings attached.

Think in terms of their interests leading them out to the world rather than looking for pathways for the world to get into them.

If we put that plan into action in place of curriculum, the world is open to them for learning for the rest of their lives."


1 comment:

Leonie said...

Have fun organizing! Maybe your kids will catch the bug?

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels