Maybe I will post an entry.
I am trying to add things to this blog that reflect our life. Where we are. Journalling I might not do in my spiral. My spiral tends to be very short entries. Oh, the other day a found a Word journal I started. It was so wonderful. It told of how our life was running then, what the boys were into, what dh was doing, what I was doing.
At risk boring all 6 of my readers, though, I need to find a happy medium. Blogs are interesting things- sometimes enigmas...
Ok, here is a snapshot of our life atm.
S is 16.5 yo. He is a head taller than me. I think back on what he was like as a baby, age 2, age, 5, age 10, etc and he is true to himself. I remember thinking what he would be like as a teen, back when he was younger, and I had not pictured it all. I had pictured some, but what I didn't see was the complete truth of his character. He is very honest and true. Deliberate and careful. Likes to take his time and do things right. Dry sense of humor. Loves his brother more than I could ever imagine a brother could.
B is 13.25yo. I love being around him. He is so sharp, often 3 steps ahead in my thinking. He catches on to things so quickly and the things that used to frustrate him have mellowed out. He has a tremendous sense of humor (as does S, but they are different in ways) and he really loves his brother.
They love to do everything together. As S says, he can anticipate what B is going to say or do by a look. They have a handful of very good friends that they befriend equally. And they are very good at choosing friends.. I shouldn't say 'choosing' so much as drawn to. They like boys who are interested in things as they are and like to talk about them. I am blessed as I never have to worry about bad influences from these guys. And I love being around them.
One of my favorite memories was when they had about 5 friends over and all of a sudden hunger hit. I just made big pots of pasta and they ate and laughed!
Dh is working from home now and is happier in his job than he has been in literally 10 years. He is getting more interested in the boys' learning which is good, but an adjustment for me! I have been so used to going it solo! (Though he is always there if I really need him.)
My dh is a Chemistry major, though he went on to business (we met in Business school), but he understands the sciences and wants the boys to have a basic understanding. So right now I have a ton of books on order at the library on Chemistry. Just picked up Chemistry for Dummies at the library yesterday. Love those "Dummies" books.
I never liked Chemistry, so really this is a new adventure. This is really kind of a litmus test for me with this lifestyle of learning. How often has a mom said to her dc:
"You must learn (fill in the blank)."
"Why?" the dc says.
"Because it is important." sez Mom.
Off they go. Could be really boring materials that would put Mom to sleep. And she has no stake. So, I will have a bit of a stake.. and wonder if there is a better way to learn Chemistry than my high school class back in 1975? I wonder if Chemistry can be interesting? I wonder why my dh thinks it is important? (I have an idea, but am really curious to explore and find out more.)
So, that is on order.
And of course, our Civil War. I won't post too much on that since I have already. But now B and I have S watching the Ken Burns DVDs. But parts are graphic, which is not S's style. I forgot about a scene where there is a photograph of all the amputated limbs and in a pile. Led to a good discussion about violence. S asked why I think a certain VG is violent, but not that?
Humm.. I had to think. When I got honest it was because this was labeled "history' and VG was not. But, really, also because it helps understand and empathize with the human condition at that time. However, that said, I just finished Uncle Tom's Cabin. Stowe was able to relate the horrors, indignity and violence of slavery without one foul word or graphic scene. But you *knew* deeply what was happening. I think that is a lost art.
B is reading short stories written in the Civil War period and S is reading a modern novel of Bull Run.
The boys also just learned of a really cool game from their friend M called Brick Wars. You take all your millions of spare LEGO pieces and play a strategy game. The Guest Room/Light Saber Room has now been converted to the Brick Wars Room.
They have played out most of their Christmas VGs and are on to different things. Never enough time in the day, is what I hear mostly.
We are doing tennis every Friday and Rod is as funny as ever. We enjoy seeing friend C every Friday as we pick him up from school. Interesting for boys to hear of his adventures at his high school, too.
I set up a studio to paint up in B's room. He offered it as he really only sleeps there. I just can't find time to work on it. I also am supposed to finish Ralphie's sweater, but can't find time! My Lighthouse activity is really picking up... and I need to make sure I keep on top of that. Though I am SO glad I decided to limit my work to close parishes. It got too much last year when one visit to a far away parish would eat up half a day.
I want to get us back to weekday Mass once a week. We got out of that habit over the holidays. Also I want to get back to Adoration.
Well, my poor sick dh just got out of bed. He fell ill in New Orleans yesterday and I need to make a doctor appointment for him.
This was nice. Have a nice day!
4 comments:
Very nice to hear the update about all you are up to.
I was thinking in bed last night that I feel I have little to say on my blog right now - just bits and pieces here and there. Blogging can get boring for me and life can get too busy! lol!
I meant my blog can get boring - not the blogs of others! lol!
Leonie,
You're too funny - that's how I've been feeling about MY blog!
lol - its catching!
Post a Comment