Monday, February 05, 2007

How an ex- 80's business woman came to mop her own floors

I was tagged by Leonie.. thanks Leonie.... :0 So here I go!


Aprons – Y/N?

My mil gave me a beautiful lace sheer, black waist apron to wear at my cocktail parties before my dh and I married. Humm.. where is it? lol


Baking – Favorite thing to bake:
I love to bake! Coffee cake on Christmas morning. Bread in my machine. Pizza crust and other things we will try. I have made my own pie crusts. Yeah, eat my dust! lol lo lol
I love to bake when I have TIME. If I don't.. I won't even try.

Clothesline – Y/N?

Nope. I do hang clothes on hangers all over my laundry room to dry. Or when my dryer went out, used my fence. Thought I have thought of installing one just to get outside daily and commune with the birds.

















Donuts – Have you ever made them?

Nope. One vice I don't have and never care to make. Plus we get Krispy Kreme for my guys when they get a hankerin'...


Every day – One homemaking thing you do every day:
One load of laundry or more.
Straighten up. My guys are really messy. :0
Make bed.
Cook.
Clean up the kitchen. The kitchen is my ZONE>>>>

Freezer – Do you have a separate deep freeze?
I have three freezer zones:
Over the fridge in the kitchen
Chest deep freeze in laundry room
Left side of side by side in the garage

Garbage Disposal – Y/N?
Of course! Their names are Stephen, Bryan, Boomer and Ralphie!

















Handbook – What is your favorite homemaking resource?
I was taught how to clean house by some guy who wrote books.. and I forgot his name. But I laughed as I never listend to my mom (who is a PERFECT housekeeper) but ended up getting tapes and books from a guy in SF CA, who gave me all the clues I needed. Still use his methods. :)


Ironing – Love it or hate it?
I don't buy anything that needs ironing. My dh's shirts go to the laundry.


Junk drawer – Y/N? Where is it?

Kitchen drawer. And I am so devoted to it I even had a handle installed on it that says:
JUNK


Kitchen: Design & Decorating?

I love my kitchen. We moved in this 1973 house and it was an little avacado box. You could not see the kitchen table from the kitchen.. it was a seperate box. So when we moved in we allocated funds to remodel and now our little dark avacado box is a bright happy yellow kitchen. I can see the outside from it and all the sunshine plus the kitchen table and we have a big island (I designed and the guy built) and we cook all the time. The kitchen is the center of our house.

But even when we were in houses with smaller kitchens, they were still the heart of our homes....

Love: What is your favorite part of homemaking?
When I look around and even though it is not perfect I see my mark and feel content.

Mop - Y/N?
Yup. But we put down Amtico.. looks like wood, is not.. so I can go a LOONNNGG time between.. like 2 weeks or more! (my children are all over 12)

Nylons - Wash by hand or in the washing machine?
Washing machine.. if it does not survive the spin cycle, I throw it out. lol
But I only wear about 2 times a year so not much of an issue.

Oven - Do you use the window, or open the door to check?
Light has been burned out for 6 years, so open the door. lol

Pizza - What do you put on yours?
Cheese.

Quiet - What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment?
Nap, read, internet, paint, or.... , nap, nap, nap.... teens love it when you nap because you are not bothering them to do things you want them to do. Win-win!

Recipe card box - Y/N?
No.. binder. Everything is in a binder.. lol

Style of house -
2 story. Traditional.. meaning we have real rooms.. lol

Tablecloths and napkins - Y/N?
Placemats and paper towels for napkins unless comapny, then cloth..


















Under the kitchen sink - Organized or toxic wasteland?
Semi - organized.

Vacuum - How many times per week?
Umm.... well, once.. maybe a week.. or maybe umm.. twice a month? However often I can talk the boys into it... lol
Could this be why I have allergies??

X’s - Do you keep a daily list of things to do and cross them off?
Yup.

Yard - Who does what?
Well it is dh's job. (Maria, that is one thing I loved about renting in CA.. the gardener) In the HEAT of the summer I talk dh into letting Isrido do it.. he is the yard guy that has done many neighbors' yards for almost 20 years. The weeds start to get to me as dh si so busy so I will do. Boys and I do potty patrol. I always wish the yard looked better. But we live in a neighborhood where this is an art.. so i need to let go..



















Zzz’s - What is your last homemaking task for the day before going to bed?
Start the dishwasher. And lock the doors. And let the dogs out. And fluff my pillow..

Oh. that sounds good. 'Night!

6 comments:

Leonie said...

I love the black cocktail apron - sounds like fun! Very 60s, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

it does sound 60's :-) mop every couple of weeks???? that would be a health and safety hazard around here!!! this whole family has mess making down to a fine art *sigh*

Cindy said...

Leoinie-

Oh, yes, my mil was quite an entertainer back in her day. The neighbors all gave cocktail parties all the time! lol

Beate-
Yes, I know. I can go two weeks. But when they were little... oh my, it was daily. And I had light tile floors so you could see it all. Which really was good, so you could identify and clean up the messes.

Now that I mop less, still I don't seem to have gained any time.. where does it all go. Oh, yes! Email and blogging! lol lol

Anonymous said...

e-mail and blogging are a good thing - I absolutely love my cyber sisters :-)

Leonie said...

True, Beate. :-)

Anonymous said...

Loved getting to know you better, Cindy. :)

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels