Sunday, February 18, 2007

Lighthouse Launch Weekend!




When a parish begins the Lighthouse CD ministry, the best way is with a 'launch' weekend. It gives the best visibility and allows the pastor and everyone else to really highlight to the parish what it is all about.

Yesterday we began the launch at a parish one town over. This was the first one I have been involved with and it was terrific!


The parish volunteer and I put announcments in the bulletins the past two weeks, and Father asked us to kick it off at the Sat. night Mass and at today's two morning Masses.

He asked me to say something during the annoucments- 1-2 minutes, tops. This really helps to explain the program, if you have someone who really cares about it talk, and give their story, so I understand.

So, yesterday I wrote, John edited and we got the talk under two minutes. I arrived torward the end of Mass and the annoucements came, I was nervous. Ok.. I thought- I am just nervous of what other people think of ME. That doesn't matter. I looked at the big crucifix over the alter and pretended I was speaking only to Christ.

I was out of my comfort zone.. but not alone.
Immediately my butterflies dissappeared!
He called me up, I stood behind the ambo and the read/said my talk. I sat down.
Whew!

After Mass I went to the gathering space where the display stand was and... it was a hit! People were lining up and waiting, 10 or 15 at a time to take some CDs. After the last Mass, we counted the donations and the covered their cost of the CDs plus more! So they are re-ordering quick for next weekend.

The best part was when I talked with people while they waited in line and answered what questions I could. I love speaking b/c then people come up to you and feel they know you and share. One man wanted more CDs to reach his young children. A woman (who I had met at a homeschool group years before) wanted titles for teens. Another elderly lady wanted mulitple copies to send to all of her grandchildren. Another woman asked me what my old Protestant denomination was, as her dh (standing right next to her) is Catholic, but she is Presbyterian. I told her "Methodist" but pointed out the Scott Hahn conversion story CD. He is the Presbyterian anti-Catholic pastor who converted and now is a tremendous apologist. :)

The one that touched me most was a 40ish man who said his wife was raised Catholic, but now 'hates' the Church. He went on to describe how she had been to Catholic school during her youth and always in the Church, but now would not even talk about it. You could see the pain in his eyes. I showed him the talk Seven Reasons to Be Catholic that we had on the stand and he took it with him.

As the volunteer and I compared notes at the end we noticed there were many people who wanted to know more about their faith, and specfically how to bring fallen away Catholics back. So, she ordered copies of How to Bring Fallen Away Catholics Back by Scott Hahn and it will be ready and waiting for that gentleman and others next week.

How cool is that?

Ok, here is my little talk.. I loved doing it, after the first time, anyway. By the second and third time, after I found out that Fr. F was happy with it, I embellished a little more. It was fun!

God is so good.. all the way home I thanked him for this opportunity and maybe that is why I spoke at Cm meetings all those years, to get me ready for this. And my conversion.. that is may touch others. This is just too good.





My name is Cindy Kelly and I am a parishioner at ______. I
appreciate the invitation from Father to let you know more about the
wonderful new CD ministry that is beginning today at St. ___.


If I may I would like to share briefly with you why I am talking about these CDs today and how they have affected my family and faith life.

I grew up in the Bible Belt as a Protestant, but married an Irish New Yorker cradle Catholic. Upon my son’s First Holy Communion, I had to face it. What did Catholics really believe? I had much mis-information about Catholicism. It was also difficult for me to find Catholics who could explain their faith to me.


During my search, I found a wonderful resource: a body
of knowledgeable, inspirational and exciting Catholic authors and
speakers. They not only explained the faith, but helped me
grow spiritually, deepen my personal faith and come to a true love of our
Church. I also realized learning about our Catholic faith is a
lifelong endeavor.

My cradle Catholic husband also found his
faith deepened tremendously by these speakers. He has found the more he
understands his faith, the easier it is to share with our children as well
as people at work and through his prison ministry work. (Where btw
they are always looking for men to volunteer as mentors…)

My husband jokes that the largest denomination in the US is Catholic and the second
largest is ex-Catholic, but, unfortunately, many who have left the Church
have done so because of their lack of knowledge of Church teaching and
Church history.

That is why Lighthouse created this CD ministry--
to bring this knowledge to parishes and St. ____ now has them available for
everyone. You can listen in your car, or at home, or on the go. Many are
perfect for teenagers and we have passed several on to our sons.

There are titles covering all aspects of the Catholic life and
they are perfect for sharing with family and friends, children and
grandchildren. The CDs are located in a wooden stand in the space by the main
doors of the Church. They are free, but a $3 donation is requested
to keep the ministry funded. If you are able to give a bit less or more, that is
fine- the goal is to get the CDs out to the parish and keep it funded for
more.

A big thank you to _______ for coordinating this for
St. _____.

My prayer is that these CDs will bless you and St. ____
parish. Please be generous in your donations as they all go directly into
bringing more titles to St. ____. THANK YOU

3 comments:

Marie said...

A joy to read about it, Cindy.

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

This is wonderful, Cindy.....

Leonie said...

Wow, great talk - and I am doing a little happy dance cos it was so successful! WTG, Cindy!

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels