Thursday, March 15, 2007

Flurry of Fur!


Whew!

Thank goodness Spring Break is over!

We got to care for 3 clients, multiple times a day for the past 5 days. And boy am I tired!

We had a new client this time. Our family with the Australian Shepherds had one pass away last year. So they got a new puppy, Kylie.

Kylie is now 6 months old. She is smart. Too smart? She is wiley. Wiley Kylie! And this was the first time she was left alone, though it was only 2 days.

She is trying to play Alpha Dog to sweet 14 yo Jemma. She will nip her, push her, and do anything for food. Jemma is so patient.. oh my.

But, that is what these dogs are meant to do.. nip and herd!

When there I took them on walks, and then did some training with Miss Kylie. It is true that dogs need to get physical release, but also mental. She is very good at following commands... as long as there is food reward. So we did a series of Sit, Stay, Come commands which I think helped give her some stress release.

But. The first time EVER I overslept an appointment. It was the beginning of daylight savings time. And my own dog had me up at 5:30. So I lay on the couch to try and sleep a bit more and next thing I know it was 7:30 and Kylie was supposed to go out at 6:30! This was her very first night to be dog sat.. so I rushed over (no coffee) and poor thing had gone all over the laundry room floor.

I felt so bad.

And Jemma, who was in the laundry room with her looked at me patiently when I got there to let them out. :0

So, I cleaned it up and apologized to the owners and gave them a healthy discount for that day. Sigh.

Oh well, other than that a successful spring break.

2 comments:

Leonie said...

Glad it had a happy ending - I slept in Friday , too!

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Cindy,

My oldest dd would like to talk with you about your doggie business. She's trying to think of ways to earn $$ and I suggested dog walking....but we'd like to talk with you about rates, commitment, etc....

Is there a time that works better for you?

Thanks!

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels