
Leonie tagged me! Leonie, how did you know I wanted to be tagged? lol lol
1. Where/How did you meet?
Standing in the check cashing line at the University of Texas. We both had just begun the MBA program. I remember what I was wearing... a spaghetti strap, electic blue slinky sundress, and I looked pretty good. lol
Dh will tell it that I came up to him... yeah right!
2. How long have you known each other?
27 years. Gosh.
3. How long after you met did you start dating?
A year. We studied, played racquetball, attended group social events. Then one day we 'discovered' we were dating. Humm..
4. How long did you date before you were engaged?
About a month. We both knew.
5. How long was your engagement?
A little over a year. We wanted to graduate.
6. How long have you been married?
It will be 24 years on May 21st. I am already thinking what we will do for our big anniversary next year!
7. What is your anniversary?
May 21.
8. How many people came to your wedding reception?
About 100.
9. What kind of cake did you serve?
Multi level with fresh flowers. I worked in a flower shop during high school and the owner did our flowers, including those on the cake.
10. Where was your wedding?
First Christian Church, Plano Texas. My parents didn't really have a church, so we went 'church shopping' for a pretty one. (wow... ) We had a priest attend (my dh was Catholic) and my minister from when my parents *did* go to church.
11. What did you serve for your meal?
This was cool.
My dad gave me $1800 for the whole wedding. (I am a Finance major so took this as a challenge). We had about 100 people. I found a resturant who wanted to try doing a reception. We were his guinea pigs and he charged me $2 a head for food! It was wonderful! Lovely resturant, with a terrace view.. he had roast beef, chicken, all sorts of sides... and gave me that great rate for him to try out the affair. The reception cost me $600 and that was with a full bar. Pretty good, eh? Can you tell I was a newly emerged MBA?
12. How many people were in your wedding party?
Best Man and 3 groomsmen, and Maid of Honor and three bridesmaids.
13. Are you still friends with them all?
Yup, the bridesmaids. One is my bestest friend I have known since we were 9 and she lives near me. Two I still keep up with though they are in different cities and the other is my sil. John's best man is still his bestest friend and they talk weekly.
Can't beat friends like that!
14. Did your spouse cry during the ceremony?
No, but he drank tons of water before, I hear. Probably scared to death what he was getting into...lol
15. Most special moment of your wedding day?
Wow, I have to think. It has been so long.
There is a picture of myself and my bridesmaid/friend hugging. She and my other bridesmaid were my constant compaions in college. We did everything together and often talked about the future. We were all holding big frozen margaritas and making toasts, then she hugged me with my new husband looking on.
It was like a rite of passage I think.
16. Any funny moments?
Yes.
I had a lovely big dress. I was holding a bouquet. I had to step up two steps with John after my dad gave me away. I didn't hold up my dress as I had the bouquet.
As I took a step up the first alter step, my dress caught and I had to bend over. The second step, I bent over more, I was walking up the front of my dress!
Now the funny part..
The Methodist minsiter was fretting.
The Catholic priest was laughing!
Then I was laughing, too. Maybe that was a foretelling of my future conversion? lol
17. Any big disasters?
Just the dress.
18. Where did you go on your honeymoon?
No money. We went back to Austin to clean out John's apt. He told me it was almost done. Yeah right, it was hard work. More foretelling??? lol
19. How long were you gone?
2 days.
20. If you were to do your wedding over, what would you change?
I wasn't Catholic and didn't really see the significance of the Sacrament of Marriage - (I just left this from copying Leonies Meme!)
Same here. I did pre cana, but didn't really understand. I am suprised our marriage did as well as it did with the lack of sprituality, but know God was with us. He had to be. Oh, to have had a Mass.. would have been so wonderful! But God is patient with me and I am home now.
I was also the typical self-absorbed bride. Not as bad as some today, but somewhat. :(
21. What side of the bed do you sleep on?
John told me early on he wants the right side. So I have had left for years. Fine with me!
22. What size is your bed?
Queen sized. (wish it was king.. but have this headboard already...)
23. Greatest strength as a couple?
Loyalty.
24. Greatest challenge as a couple?
Communication.
25. Who literally pays the bills?
He earns the money (excpet for my tidbits), though I worked the first 10 years full time. I have always paid the bills and done everything except the investments.
26. What is your song?
Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett. Specific, New York New York.
27. What did you dance your first dance to?
I have no clue. Did we dance?
28. Describe your wedding dress:
Best I could afford (it was $250)- see the things I remember? lol
White, full skirt, train, netting for bodice and sleeves, size 8 and boy was I cute! lol
29. What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding?
My friend at the flower shop did them.. lovely. Forget the names.. but loved them all.
30. Are your wedding bands engraved?
Yes. Simple gold band. Inside says:
JC May 21, 1983
31.How old were you when you were married?
23.
I was an OLD 23.
7 comments:
Oh, Cindy, I love this - you and me and Beate were all engaged after a month of dating!!
The wedding dress story is too funny ( in retrospect I imagine). I also understand about the Catholic bit - sounds like we both went into marriage a little unaware of the sacrament.
Love the spaghetti strap dress - you woulda looked cute!
I'm so glad you added the pictures! They are beautiful! Mark and I celebrate 16 years tomorrow. He is well on his way to sainthood....
Oh, very nice pic!
Thanks, Leonie.. oh, funny how we had those short 'dating' periods.:)
Karen, Happy Anniversary!!
Cindy
Love it!
And my bridemaids had that same color dress!!!
So beautiful, Cindy!
I really enjoyed reading this!
Very nice, Cindy :) Our anniversary is May 22 so we're right behind you (well, off by about 16 years!). Here in Ohio we've had about one anniversary so far where it has been hot/nice & warm.
Post a Comment