Jasper is a 60-plus pound Bassett Hound with a mind of his own.
He also suffers from allergies, poor thing, and is usually miserable. Well, he may not really be. Bassets just always LOOK miserable. lol
To get what he wants, he BAYS. Very loudly.
He also recently hurt his neck, threatening his owners with the possibility of a very expensive surgery, or the worse alternative. :(
His neck is better, but when walking him, we must be careful not to pull his neck.
Now, walking him may sound simple, but HE pulls.. and lumbers, and puts his fat black nose to the ground, drags his ears and tries to rustle up food bits. His favorite haunts are the corner of the driveway where the trashcans are always placed on trash day. And the neighbors yard across the street as they constantly keep bread scattered on the ground for the birds.
Tonight we walked Jasper. We try to do what we can to give them what they need 30 minute visits. A walk, some belly rubs, tennis ball throws, or practice with commands can relax them so much for the remaining hours alone waiting for their family's return.
So, we walked Jasper. . Sigh.
He pulled, he went to the 'garbage spot', he tried to go across the street to the bird bread yard.
But, I couldn't pull. I could not risk hurting his neck.
So, I got a bit smarter. Food is his motiviation for most of life. So I took a treat. When he would not come, stubborn canine, I would say "Jasper, COME!" and put a bit of treat in sniffing distance from his nose.
He would perk up!
Look up!
Follow me!
Hey, he even broke into a trot a couple of times!
It was great! We went down the street, then he started rooting in a neighbor's flower bed. So.. I pulled out my secret treat-weapon and declared:
"Jasper, COME!"
He lifted his head and sauntered.. now jogging to me! It only took 5 treat/comes to get him back in his own backyard.
The neighbors must have thought I was nuts, I am sure I looked very wierd. They never came outside, so maybe that tells me the answer... lol
I think that was a lot of physical and mental stimulation for him, as hc flopped down on his tile floor and was soon breathing heavy and off to slumberland.
He has a lot of personality, and we sure love him.
Good boy, Jasper. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment