Sunday, October 21, 2007

Welcoming Ministry


I recently joined the Welcoming Ministry at my parish.

Every 3rd weekend of the month, volunteers (such as me) stay after Mass and welcome those interested in becoming part of our parish. Since we like the vigil Saturday Mass, that is when I volunteer.

Yesterday was the second time I did this. I left Mass after communion and set up the materials, taped up the Welcome Parishioners Ministry sign on the wall next to the entrance to the Lady Chapel and stood, hands folded, smiling waiting for people to come in.

I tried to smile and look 'welcoming' and not like a fake smile was plastered on my face. :D

As I stood there, people began to pass by, taking bulletins and heading for the car. I saw my sons, waved wildly and they gave me an (oh Mom!) look and kept going.

Soon a lovely lady walked up and we began to chat. She is considering joining us since her only son left for college. They had been going to a far away parish with where a priest friend was instructing her son for Confirmation. Now that he is away, she wants a closer parish. We talked about her son's departure. I could see the pain she still felt. She missed him, her only child. I hope she joins.

I also enjoyed talking with the other volunteer. I have seen her face for years, but never met her. We chatted and I found out she is retired, has been for 10 years. One month after her retirement, her husband passed away.

"We had all the plans for our retirement,' she said, " and then he was gone."

We talked of her kids and grand kids and her involvement in the Church and parish.
She had heard it said that our parish was 'cold and unwelcoming'. She disagrees and to help change that perception, joined the welcoming committee.

I made two new friends yesterday.

1 comment:

Leonie said...

I love the idea of a Welcoming Committee - we are hoping to do soemthing similar in our parish. At the moment, I help with the suppers after the Sunday 6pm Youth /Family Mass on the third Subnday and do the morning teas after the 10.30 am mass on the First Sunday.


What do you have on your banner? What materials do you have to give out?

Sorry to ask so many questions, just curious!

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Blog Archive

Labels

Labels