Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Imitation of Christ I

When I decided to start this blog, this Journey blog, at the forefront of my mind is a book I have been reading now, slowly for about a month. It is My Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis.

I found this at my parish library, just browsing one day.

I have heard of this book for a long time and assumed it would be very difficult and weighty. The edition I picked up that day was a beautiful one. It is written in very simple language. It also has very short chapters. My friend had another version of this book she said was in very archaic language and hard to read. I looked at it. She is right. But, I love this version. It is edited by Claire Fitzpatrick.

I have found myself relying on this book as a companion. During the move discernment I found many passages that applied. Mostly about seeking peace and detatching from worldly things. Also Kempis has written much on dealing with others.

The book is a journey. It is applying very concretely as well to my homeschool/parenting journey. There are some key thoughts he has on knowledge.

I understand that Kempis was a monk in the 1400s. His life in the monestary is much different that my and my dc's life today. But, this seems part of the journey for me. How much is really timeless? Do I read a passage he wrote and decide that, well, that does not apply?

His book is the second most published in the world. The first is the Bible. As his title states, he is trying to make an Imitation of Christ. He is not inventing new stuff. He is trying to live as Christ told us to live. When he writes, I know he is speaking to himself as well. He is struggling to walk the true Christian walk.
I am beginning to love the saints more and more. The saints are not a natural concept to me, as I was not raised Catholic. But I see that really they are just people who strove to live like Christ, to achieve as much holiness as they could while on earth. They are worthwhile for us to learn about and know. They are our brothers and sisters in Christ.

Thomas a Kempis was to my surprise never cannonized as a saint. (I googled him.) The cause began, but then was lost. I know God can work things out, so in my mind he is still a St. Thomas.

I would like to explore the book here. I like this blogging because I can take these ideas that rattle in my head all day.... as I clean, cook, run errands, talk to the boys and my friends.. and put them all in one place. It seems to make them more cohesive. More real. Seems I am chasing them less, when they end up on paper. Then I can go read them again a week later and see what I thought, if it still rings true, where I have been since then.

I have found that with reading IOC. It comes up over and over. So, I hope to capture some of it here.

God Bless,
Cindy

No comments:

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels