Good Day,
I remember when I used to lead a Charlotte Mason group with my good friend. For five years we would get up on a monthly basis and talk about what we had learned about the Charlotte Mason method and then have some awesome discussions with the moms in attendance. These meetings were very supportive in nature and naturally tended to new moms searching for a way, or veteren moms who were looking for refreshment. I think the greatest affirmation I got from these meetings was that moms came away refreshed. I always did as well.
Often the talk would lean toward philosophies. Many new homeschoolers would look up with blank stares when this came up. How in the world could they form a philosophy? Just keeping the house together, little ones happy and planning the schedules were enough to fill their day and more.
We would talk about the vaccuum effect. That if there was no underlying philsophy or belief *something* would come in to take its place. For many moms (me included, in my early years) that something was 'school-at-home'. It is the natural choice, since most of us grew up with that sort of education and that is the method the world will grace as 'valid'.
So, it is worth the time to think about philosphy and methods and what we really believe.
I think I am at this crux with my homeschooling.
All these questions will also take a bent with each individual child. The answers may be different by child and family.
How do kids learn best?
How does my child learn best?
What am I homeschooling?
What are my ultimate goals?
What do I want them to know? Why?
What 'subjects' are important enough for me to insist they know?
Why do I want them to know these things? To satsify me? To benefit them? To satisfy an outside world demand (or percieved demand)?
When I first began homeschooling I read The Elijah Catalog (Chris and Ellyn Davis) and their many articles on goals. They began with the Stephen Covey method of looking at the end. What is it we want our children to be when they are adults?
I found that the journey is really about relationships. That makes complete sense with our faith and Christ's teachings. If our children can develop strong relationships with God, themselves, their family- they can achive rise to the roles they will embrace in adulthood: Child of God, spouse, friend, parent, etc.
I remember the goals I had first written out when I began homeschooling. They had things such as 'learn times tables by 3rd grade' and such listed.
After reading Elijah and other sources and much contemplation and realized my goals were really inverted. At the top I had academics. Things that would be seen- measures that I had learned as a child.
Instead I saw that it was about the process and relationships. The relationships are with God, people and the world, including knowledge.
I revised my goals, that year - in 1997- and if I pull them out to read them now, they are really still the same.
After I wrote those I became Catholic and growing in my faith I see the goals are not contrary, but supported even more by our faith.
Given this journey, I have come to define my philosophy as one where the children are able to develop a relationship with learning. Charlotte Mason is a great fit in this and her writings offer wonderful ideas, especially in terms of philosophy.
As a parent, I know my vocation is to lead and mentor my children and bring them beauty. Discipline plays an important part here, but not neccesarily in doing table lessons, but in dealing with all relationships. Virtues are really the goal: kindness, honesty, caring, respect.
This journey and the resources I have found have helped me in a large way to define my philosophy. It can be difficult with all the messages that can bombard homeschoolers.
The latest 'new' method can be seen as the panacea. But panacea to what?
What is it we are trying to achieve with our children?
God Bless,
Cindy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours
Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)
About Us
- Cindy
- Texas, United States
- We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity.
That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "
~ Pope John Paul II
~ Pope John Paul II
I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(116)
-
▼
July
(25)
- Journey Stuff on Dogdays
- The Continuing Journey
- Outside the Box
- Learning Inside Out- Bravewriter
- Humilty + Knowledge = Relationship?
- Imitation of Christ II
- Imitation of Christ I
- More On Real Knowledge- aka The Knowledge Party
- The Knowledge Party, Cont.- Shall We Invite Shakes...
- Discipline, Cont.
- This Is It
- Discipline
- No Makeup
- Lulling
- C.S. Lewis, Dr. Markos, Me, My Kids, Unschooling, ...
- More Journeys
- Modernists and Post-Modernists
- Essence of Knowledge, Knowledge of our Creator
- Adult Roles of Our Children-- Circa 1997
- Family Goals Circa 1997
- Back to the Future... 1997 Charting a Course
- The Knowledge Party
- Relationship with Knowledge
- Philosophy of homeschooling
- My First Ramblings...
-
▼
July
(25)
Labels
- art (9)
- atmosphere (12)
- audio (2)
- books (3)
- comics (11)
- crafts (6)
- creativity (8)
- culture (9)
- current events (10)
- dogsitting (1)
- dvd (3)
- education (23)
- faith (22)
- family (38)
- feasts (5)
- fitness (5)
- flylady (1)
- food (3)
- friends (14)
- fun (14)
- greatbooks (5)
- health (3)
- history (14)
- holidays (3)
- homemaking (20)
- journey (18)
- joy (10)
- learning philosophy (7)
- learning self study (13)
- literature (6)
- liturgical year (6)
- marriage (4)
- math (2)
- media (2)
- meme (1)
- misc (4)
- movies (6)
- music (2)
- noticing (1)
- organization (5)
- parenting (2)
- pegs (2)
- quotes (3)
- real learning (15)
- recipes (8)
- resources (2)
- saints (2)
- SEE-ing learning (4)
- silliness (16)
- teachingcompany (2)
- traditions (5)
- vacation (4)
Labels
- art (9)
- atmosphere (12)
- audio (2)
- books (3)
- comics (11)
- crafts (6)
- creativity (8)
- culture (9)
- current events (10)
- dogsitting (1)
- dvd (3)
- education (23)
- faith (22)
- family (38)
- feasts (5)
- fitness (5)
- flylady (1)
- food (3)
- friends (14)
- fun (14)
- greatbooks (5)
- health (3)
- history (14)
- holidays (3)
- homemaking (20)
- journey (18)
- joy (10)
- learning philosophy (7)
- learning self study (13)
- literature (6)
- liturgical year (6)
- marriage (4)
- math (2)
- media (2)
- meme (1)
- misc (4)
- movies (6)
- music (2)
- noticing (1)
- organization (5)
- parenting (2)
- pegs (2)
- quotes (3)
- real learning (15)
- recipes (8)
- resources (2)
- saints (2)
- SEE-ing learning (4)
- silliness (16)
- teachingcompany (2)
- traditions (5)
- vacation (4)
No comments:
Post a Comment