Friday, July 07, 2006

The Knowledge Party

Good Morning!

I want my boys to have a positive relationship with knowledge.

That means to me, knowing how to learn, enjoying learning and having the confidence that they can learn what ever they need to when they need to.

Looking back on the past 10 years, I feel that we have accomplished that. Some influences that helped me greatly along that road were Charlotte Mason- especially her tenets of respecting the child and of the atmosphere of the home.

Through her I learned how to bring beauty into the home- and create a rich atmosphere. Oh, when the boys were younger... we did so many wonderful read alouds. Had so many wonderful nature studies, our backpacks full of microscopes and ziplock bags.... and explored museums and antique shops (some just plain junk stores..)---

I was not much of a reader growing up and to me learning meant the sterile classroom. That was until college where I really began to see how to apply myself. But CM showed me how to make life learning-- to have books around and really delve into them and make them a part of my life. Susan Schaeffer McCaully was another great influence in For the Children's Sake.

It is no exaggeration to say I got my true second education while homeschooling my children. I rarely read for pleasure until I started with my boys. And I knew next to nothing about history. I taught myself to read before I started kindergarten. So I know the innate desire is there.

So- I feel that creating this home rich in atmosphere of learning has really set the tone of our home and am so thankful... very, very thankful I found homeschooling and then Charlotte Mason.

CM has a set of things she feels is knowledge worth knowing. I have read her syllabi- and actually reading it tells me that it is all up for grabs. She, for example, will stress English History. Well, that is not really so necessary for my American boys. Also, she was running schools. I think there was still pressure to cover certain areas, though Cm knew that you could not force a child to learn. She knew that the child had to form their own relationship with the knowledge.

But, Cm actively set out the table.. Presented the feast. Led the 'horse to water' to let them drink, if they so desired. However she did have requirements. Do those requirements apply to me and my dc? I think we need to find our own version of the 'what' and 'how' though I never have strayed far from the philosophies of learning and human nature that she professes.

So, what 'knowledge' do I set the table with? I believe more each year that the scope and sequence is a myth. Again, are we trying to work toward a career, or help our dc find various avenues of learning. Stretch their minds. Give them a liberal education.

The knowledge party... want to give it, but who to invite? How to know when to go home?
More later.. gotta clean up the kitchen.

God Bless,
Cindy

No comments:

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels