Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Lulling

Good Morning from the sultry Gulf Coast.

I have been thinking, quite against my own plan, about lulls.

I have had some very productive discussions on line in past years about lulls. I realized, yesterday, that I was in one with my studies/life. I wanted to take a moment and reflect on this. Not pass it off-- because understanding my nature and the ebbs and flows of myself will help me better understand my dc.

Like many homeschool moms, I often expected my sons to chart a steady course. One chapter a day in this, 30 minutes in that. Or when we shifted to more interest-led, I would seem to covertly expect them to chug along on a project or book at an even keel. When they slowed or stoppped, I would worry they were not learning anymore. (Would they ever again?)

As I mentioned in previous posts, the past few days have been fairly intense study for me. The boys have been engaged in their own projects and I have the luxury of using CDs during the day as I do my work, so I have had several hours of study time, either by listening or reading.

Yesterday my brain registered FULL. I had to stop. I had to find a change of pace. I hung out with the boys for a while and saw what they were up to. I ran errands. I didn't study any more about C.S. Lewis.

But, the information I had gleaned was rattling around in my head. I was thinking now and then about it, applying it, sharing it with my dh and the boys at times.

More than that, my mood was definietly in a lull. I think part is the low level stress in our house as we still discern the move. There are reminders everywhere, such as several long range plans that crop up (such as the TORCH planning meeting- will I be here next fall to enjoy the fruits? or the class I was going to lead at the local community college-I postponed it until spring..)

This to say that our children also have complex lives and thought patterns. They learn in bursts. I am seeing that they need time to lull, too. And just because the outside looks quiet, I realize that there is often a lot going on inside.

But, based on yesterday evening, sometimes there is not a lot going on inside. I was just tired. I watched Northern Exposure and vegged. Sometimes we need to veg.

The crux: it is so easy to still try and make this home life artificial. We force this and force that. I think school is so highly ingrained in me that I find myself gravitating back to even what the surface of it looks like. Discipline, chores, virutes, responsibilty.. all are good. Needed... required.

But, it is really amazing how I still execpt learning to be this generic format. Hummm...

I know lulls make me uncomfortable. I think it is not until I have had several months (years) of living with them, working through them and observing them that I can see their value. The immediate response is to ignore, deny, cover up, or roust the dc out of them.

I am going to try more to tune in to the lulls (without annoying the darling boys too greatly) and see what is happening.

If I feel that need to see 'production', then I will dig a little deeper or go read my journal and see what they were up to last week.

Back to my lull.

I feel much better today. My mind is refreshed. I began the day with a walk with my old dog, Boomer. It was slow, but I saw how it refreshed him. Like exercise refreshes me, too. Variety. Mind, body, spirit.

Sometimes we need to give the mind a break and let it connect with body and spirit.

I am understanding my lull better now, too. I was frustrated with myself for the way I was feeling and what I was *not* getting done yesterday.

Lulls are needed. And needed to be understood and not just glossed over. That is what I am thinking about lulls atm.

God Bless,
Cindy

No comments:

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels