Book 1
Chapter 1
"No one who follows Me will ever walk in darkness (jn 8:12)...
If you want to see clearly and avoid blindness of heart, it is His virtues you must imitate. Make it your aim to meditate on the life of Jesus Christ."
This is how the book begins. To bring this into my life daily, hourly, by minute and second. I know when I am brought back to this place then the cares and concerns of the day disolve. Even as I type this, it seems evident. Yet my human mind forgets it 5 minutes after I state it. The human condition we live in.
I find this is very importnat for me on this homeschool journey, especially. I love my support networks. I get great ideas from all the groups, lists, blogs, etc. But they also cause angst. Measuring up. Doing it wrong. Not doing it right. Jesus brings that peace- his yoke is light.
This is a difficulty for me- to seek the support and help but not let it overwhelm me. But to rely on Christ puts it in perspective every time. Why does it take so long to get back to him? I feel better that saints have asked this question for centuries. I am in good company.
To knowledge. Kempis talks a lot about knowledge in this little book.
Book 1
Chapter 1
3.
To be learned and able to discuss the Trinity will get you nowhere if you do not have humiity, and therefore displease the Holy Trinity. Lofty words neither save you nor make you a saint; only a virtuous life makes you dear to God. It is better to experience contrition than to be able to define it.
(My emphasis)
Thinking about knowledge and the seeking homeschoolers do for the right curriclum, scope and sequence, etc. The check off list. Then to see his words- that it is better to experience contrition that be able to define it.
I think of theologians who learn about the faith, but never know it in their hearts. This was Dietrich Bonhoffer and C.S. Lewis before their conversions. Both were self-admittedly proud. Both wanted control. Lewis said he was the most miserable convert in England the day he accepted Christ. He went kicking and screaming.
We don't want to give up control. Or that perceptioin that we have control. Control and humility don't go well together. But God gave us brains. He gave us intelligence to seek knowledge. Knowledge of him (as best we can comprehend). But knowledge of the world. What is our relationship to that knowledge?
What path are we leading our children down? What value are we putting on knowledge? What knowledge is really important for our children to have? How to we help guide them without putting the wrong value on knowledge?
One thing I am clear on--- I have been reading this book to the boys. Kind of full circle.
I am not expressing well. More later!
God Bless,
Cindy
No comments:
Post a Comment