Monday, May 21, 2007

24 Year Ago Today....

... I was about to walk down the aisle.

It was 7:30 on a Saturday night and we were in LUV!

Wow... just thinking about all we have been through. Your list is probably similar..
jobs, moves, layoffs, children, inlaws... happy time and hard times.

I was struck by what Beate wrote about how she feels when she holds her husbands hand. I can't figure out how to link the specific post... but here is her main one and her post is at the end here.

Isn't it funny how something small sticks with you?

When she held his hand, she felt she was HOME.

I wonder if men know how important that is to their wives?


My dh and I have been through, some easy, some not.. when I read what Beate wrote, I realized how true that was for me. Maybe we didn't talk it all out at the beginning... we just were living. We both had our MBAs and were ready to conquer the world! He wanted to work his way up through sales, me through finance. And we had some great conversations at dinners at night. I would talk about the pushy salesmen who thought they were the saviors of the company when they would walk in my office at the 13th hour with the quarter-saving order...

Dh would tell me about the 'overhead' who would block his sales at his corporate office. But we laughed, and traveled and grocery-shopped and didn't think about kids.

Who knew our life would change so much? A child of the secular world I had no idea what was awaiting. Sometimes I wish I had known about the front porches and babysmells earlier, as Beate wrote about. But, God knew me and knew we would come around.

Somewhere around my first baby and my 31st birthday, my dh was moved across the country and I became a SAHM. It was bittersweet. Sweet becaue of my baby, bitter because it was new and I was on my own, not sure who I was.

But fast forward till now and I am probably THE happiest SAHM there is, and am finding a new and exciting relationship with an old friend, my dh. We are playing racqetball again, something we did when we dated. And with the boys older and beoming friends, we are all feeling very comfy in our family.

God has a plan for us all. I am so thankful for the road he has put me on. It has not been perfect... I have not been perfect, but love abounds.

I have a man of few words, too, Beate. And I wanted to mention this...
Saturday night I was invited to a banquet to honor the voluteers at the prision my dh mentors at. I was amazed. These men, many the ones you would avoide on a street corner, loved us. They loved us being there. I realized I was biased and did not see. I felt Jesus whispering in my ear that we need to love and visit those in prison.

Really.

At dinner last night as I was describing the scene (and it was incredible) to my sons, my dh watched me.
I ended by saying that I was changed.

"That is how I have felt for a year and a half." my dh said looking at me closely.

I then knew even more that I need to listen to this man. He is quiet, but a lot is going on. I need to listen. I am very much in awe of him.

Happy Anniverary to all, as this is the season for marriages.... and to us, too. I am very lucky. :)


Here is Beate's post...: wonderful!
Life's short, talk fast ;-)
Dh and I married two and a half months after our first kiss - ten weeks and one day in fact. It doesn't sound like very much time to fall in love and plan a future, but I was a goner the first time he held my hand - during Mass, twelve days before that first kiss Importantly though, we talked about all the things that really matter, such as:

Kids - of course

Where they would sleep - with us, naturally! Okay, he was skeptical about that one, but now he's a true believer

Family planning - nothing artificial

TV in the bedroom - no way

We also discussed family, faith, front porches, horses, dogs and cows - not necessarily in that order. Yup, we fit a lot into those short weeks, which is pretty amazing considering my guy's penchant for short conversations Two weeks from today we'll celebrate fourteen years as husband and wife. It seems like only yesterday, but also like I've known him since I first came into being. Weird, huh? I love that man!! ~ Momma B

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cindy, that made me cry! You know, I think God opened my eyes to the kids, etc because I was already 30 when we married. I'd made my way in life, dealt with business things, changed careers, took tons of classes, and in the midst of things, I always found happiness around littles.

Btw, I thought of you and your honey the other day when mine called me to ask me something (can't remember what) and I figured out exactly what he was talking about even though he had it totally mixed up and turned around ;-)

Happy anniversary my friend!

Anonymous said...

PS - we both became mommies at 31!

Cindy said...

Thanks, Beate.... Yes, those quiet men are a challenge... but when they talk, there is something to really hear. :)

Enjoyed your thoughts....

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Happy Anniversary, dear friend!

I was a Mommmy at 31, too...to my 3rd child....what a special time that was....and how long ago it seems!

Enjoy that hand holding...it's so gentle and loving....

Leonie said...

Happy Anniversary Cindy!

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels