
My friend Donna asked me that the other day.
I realized I was holding myself up to so many standards and trying to serve masters, some who didn't even know I was doing so and could care less!
On the good side, my quasi-Flylady schedules, I am getting things done, dropping my perfectionism and enjoying that "Ah..finished!" feel many times during a day. To boot, I get a day off! Today is my day off. I had to have permission to take a day off.. gosh, what makes us so crazy? lol
What will I do with this day?
It is funny, but I have not thought about life in that terms for a really long time and I was not sure what to do! Kind of like when you have little ones with you all the time, and one day you get some time alone to shop. You don't know how to do it without holding little hands and hurrying through the stores... I remember that! Same feeling.
So... I started thinking about what really makes my heart sing. Here are a few. I know there are more and I get to rediscover them! What would be on your list?
-playing the piano
-being CREATIVE
-painting
-emailing friends
-reading/listening to books (right now it is the lecture series on St Augustine)
-thinking about higher things, seeing connections made, having epiphanies!
-playing Animal Crossing (a new interest I just started yesterday)
-stilling myself to think about God
-snow skiing (fat chance in Houston)
-galloping on a horse (humm.... can this be possible anytime soon?)
Not a very impressive list, but it is a start.
What shall I do with my afternoon? I got in a great strength workout this morning and then strolled around Costco picking out things my guys would like. Boys loved unloading the car and had lots of new yummy things for lunch.
Now... shall I... paint? take a nap? Play a little Animal Crossing? Listen to my lectures? I have permission to take the day off and shed the matyr homeschool mom persona! Hooray! lol
Ok... so... what makes your heart sing, and have you heard it do so lately? :)
5 comments:
I love your list, Cindy! Here's a partial list of mine:
Coming home
happy colors
making art/crafts
listening to music
cooking/baking
white chocolate truffles
really good coffee
sunshine
playing with my kitties and watching them play together
hugs and kisses from the grandbabies
....
I laughed when I saw the link back - the first thing you see is "ARGH! Is this day over yet?" LOL! Not a very good first impression of joy, huh? LOL!!!
So...what did you do this afternoon? =)
And, no news yet on dh. I will email you soon - been a little tied up with some things here.
God Bless!
Hey Donna!
Your blog is great.. and joyful and joy does not always mean happiness, as I know you know! It is about embracing life, even the down days, which we all have.
We know there will be up days to follow and it gives life that ying and yang... and a chance to turn to our big man upstairs.. :)
Well, thanks for asking about what I ended up doing. Here goes:
I played Animal Crossing a bit. It was kind of tiring b/c I am learning to use controls, etc. but am getting the hang of it.
Then I laid down on my big bed, with my two professional nappers (canines) and put on the big ceiling fan and listened to my Teaching Co CDs on St. Augusting.
I think I had a very short snooze. :)
Then I was up and spent a bit of time on email and got dinner going.
Not a bad afternoon... :)
I like your list very much, Cindy...
I'm going to think about this and post it to my blog...
What a great way to practice gratitude, too!
Hello Maria-
I would love to see your list... and you are right. It is about being thankful for all that we have. God wants us to be joyful and I also am finding that joy in all these temporal things is really only possible for me when I remember who gave them all to me. :)
Nice to see your list - what makes my heart sing? Well, exercise is one - workouts, playing basketball or similar with the kids, I love movement and fun.
Good music and good books and good movies.
And I actually like to work - lol, I know, but my heart sings when I do a great job at cleaning or organizing or weeding. :-0
And talking and going out with family and friends....
Post a Comment