This makes me rethink my Internet habits. :(
I have not worried too much about the dangers of the Internet as my family is pretty well informed, and I am very thankful I have risk adverse dc who do not surf or talk to strangers on the web.
But, it is a big part of our lives, well, especially me. I love to research and always have. Like many, I will just 'goggle' something I am curious about as a course of my day. Notice Google is not just a proper noun, but a verb. :)
For example- I picked an audio book off the library shelf last week called A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemmingway. I have not read a lot of his work so decided to give it a shot. It turned out to be his memoirs while he was a young, upcoming, poor writer in Paris in the 1920s.
In it he talked a lot about his relationship with Gertrude Stein (google) and F. Scott Fitzgerald. (google). Both are very interesting characters. Poor Scott died at age 44 from acute alcoholism and much of Hemmingway's personal insights were confirmed by the anonymous Google writer.
I learned about Scott and his wife Zelda and found some Nintendo trivia my boys did not know! The Legend of Zelda video games were named after Scott wife, Zelda. She was a piece of work- a 20's flapper to the hilt, was jealous of Scott's writing and lured him to party, he who could not handle even one drink. She died early, too in an asylum.
But, I learned more than gossip, I learned about the times, the 20's post WWI, about the "Lost Generation" as Gertrude Stein put it. I really enjoy reading a book, fiction or biographical, the doing a little research. Even if the Internet is not 100% reliable, it is a start and very accessible.
But, scan the article I linked if you have time. That bothers me how these new things that are 'accessible' can end up being negative. It reminds me of Brave New World. Oh well. God is in control! (Back to joy...)
Wednesday, May 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours
Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)
About Us
- Cindy
- Texas, United States
- We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity.
That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "
~ Pope John Paul II
~ Pope John Paul II
I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]
Blog Archive
-
▼
2007
(304)
-
▼
May
(24)
- What Makes Your Heart Sing?
- St. Augustine, you know us well....
- The Best Dog in the World!?
- "Dear Flylady"- Butterflies
- Some Favorite Piano Music
- More Incredible Insight (smile)
- Why We Blog
- It is Late May.. so IT'S INEVITABLE...I know you h...
- Ralphie at Rest
- Red and Rover
- Minestrone with Italian Sausage
- Bye bye to Clutter- Flylady Blessings
- To Google or Not To Google- I love research!
- 24 Year Ago Today....
- Advanced Yoga?
- For those of you who want to see the real me.. lol
- My Cage
- More Sprucing...
- Sprucing Up My Creative Space
- Dog Mama
- New name!
- Happy Day!
- Mother's Day
- I Am Still Here!
-
▼
May
(24)
Labels
- art (9)
- atmosphere (12)
- audio (2)
- books (3)
- comics (11)
- crafts (6)
- creativity (8)
- culture (9)
- current events (10)
- dogsitting (1)
- dvd (3)
- education (23)
- faith (22)
- family (38)
- feasts (5)
- fitness (5)
- flylady (1)
- food (3)
- friends (14)
- fun (14)
- greatbooks (5)
- health (3)
- history (14)
- holidays (3)
- homemaking (20)
- journey (18)
- joy (10)
- learning philosophy (7)
- learning self study (13)
- literature (6)
- liturgical year (6)
- marriage (4)
- math (2)
- media (2)
- meme (1)
- misc (4)
- movies (6)
- music (2)
- noticing (1)
- organization (5)
- parenting (2)
- pegs (2)
- quotes (3)
- real learning (15)
- recipes (8)
- resources (2)
- saints (2)
- SEE-ing learning (4)
- silliness (16)
- teachingcompany (2)
- traditions (5)
- vacation (4)
Labels
- art (9)
- atmosphere (12)
- audio (2)
- books (3)
- comics (11)
- crafts (6)
- creativity (8)
- culture (9)
- current events (10)
- dogsitting (1)
- dvd (3)
- education (23)
- faith (22)
- family (38)
- feasts (5)
- fitness (5)
- flylady (1)
- food (3)
- friends (14)
- fun (14)
- greatbooks (5)
- health (3)
- history (14)
- holidays (3)
- homemaking (20)
- journey (18)
- joy (10)
- learning philosophy (7)
- learning self study (13)
- literature (6)
- liturgical year (6)
- marriage (4)
- math (2)
- media (2)
- meme (1)
- misc (4)
- movies (6)
- music (2)
- noticing (1)
- organization (5)
- parenting (2)
- pegs (2)
- quotes (3)
- real learning (15)
- recipes (8)
- resources (2)
- saints (2)
- SEE-ing learning (4)
- silliness (16)
- teachingcompany (2)
- traditions (5)
- vacation (4)
2 comments:
I've sent the article link to my sons - thought they'd be interested...
It might not be so bad as long as you can opt out. Amzon tracks what you view and purchase and then makes suggestions - some of them have been good ;-)
Post a Comment