Friday, May 18, 2007

Sprucing Up My Creative Space























My space with the new easel and Ott light.

At the suggestion of a friend, I roamed the craft store yesterday just to get my creative juices flowing again.

I was open to all sorts of things, but found myself back in the painting section. I have not done any painting in a while. I realized I wanted to expand my creative space and make it a more inviting and convienent place to create.

My darling 13yos has offered his room for me to create in. All he does is sleep there, which is true. So I moved my craft table in a few months ago.

But I realized I really don't have good light in there. I had strung up 2 lamps, trying to SEE which gets harder as I get older, too. So at the craft store, I kept being called back to this Ott lamp- which brings 'daylight' into the home.

Can you see the difference between the Ott lamp and the regular lamp in the first picture??


I circled back a few times, put off by the cost. But it somehow ended up in my basket.

I also stood for a while wistfully staring at the easels. I have never owned one. I really wanted to try it, to see if it expanded my creativity, which I had a feeling it would. A lot of drawing and painting is about movement and motion. I have felt the lack of it at times if I am trying to draw in a cramped space. I am fairly new to painting and wondered what it would be like to have an easel and be able to make strokes with my arms and elbows free. If I could see the work better. (Of course now I would have my Ott lamp, too!)

So, soon an easel was in my basket, too. I got a few assundry items, too and checked out, securing the receipts in case I need to return anything.

Well, I love the lamp and the easel. I rearranged Bryan's room (with his input... "Just keep my bed and nightstand in place and I'm happy" was about what he said) and created a larger space for me.

The easel is like adding a whole new workspace. Now my table is clear for drawing and supplies. I also cleared out a bookshelf of old comic books and Star Wars magazines and have MORE room than I need. Wow, what a feeling.

I am looking forward to spending many a happy hour creating in my new and improved space...:)























My muses.... lol

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Cindy!! I'm so happy for you! I can't wait to see what you end up painting (hmmm, will it have a warm, wet nose and floppy ears?...)

I love that Ott lamp - I could use something like that in my art room.

Well, enjoy! =)

K said...

That lamp would be awesome for cross stitching! I am inspired by your creative space. It looks so inviting that even I might want to try my hand at painting...ok, I won't I promise!

Cindy said...

Hi Donna and Karen-

Yes, I really like the Ott lamp. I really found I was lacking in light when I tried to paint, or even draw. I was constantly moving lamps, trying to SEE.

They had lots of kinds- some that are more pretty and stylish (mine is just utilitaian) and then some for table top, and some with magnifying lenses.

I must be getting old.. that really drew me. Kind of like tube tops drew me when I was a hot teen. lol Oh well.

Aren't you all glad I don't like tube tops anymore?

But check into them. I just happened upon it at the craft store and make an impulse purchase with my return receipt firmly in hand. But I know I will keep it now. My room has a north exposure, so not much light....

Leonie said...

This space looks great - very welcoming and all ready for you!

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels