Friday, June 01, 2007

What I Did on my Summer Vacation....

Today I...

Continued learning to play and enjoying Animal Crossing


And began a new game- Zelda Windwaker


When boys understood I was interested in really playing some games myself, they brought the Gamecube downstairs and selected 4 games they thought I might like and let me choose. I had a living, breathing FAQ next to me the whole time petting Ralphie and giving me hints. But when he left the room and I would call him for advice, sometimes he would say..
"Try and figure it out yourself first..." and he was right. When I took ownership, I learned faster and the game became mine. Humm.. where have I heard this before? lol

I experienced some of that Carefree Timelessness that Matthew Kelly (Catholic speaker and writer) talks about in his books, one being The Rhythm of Life. I told my ds that I enjoyed entering into another world, solving puzzles and chatting with him while I did. I was not so 'do' oriented as I am usually! Fun afternoon.

Of course I am terrible at the controls and my boys are patient. They say it is fun to watch someone new enjoy the adventure.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like fun and so awesome for your boys! Good for you.

P.S. You could ride Sam's horse, not sure about galloping but....

Cindy said...

Hey... I would love to ride her horse.. oh, wait a minute... isn't that how someone I know broke their arm?! And I am older and more fragile I am sure! (bg)!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy ! I found your blog via Leonie unschool fun blog :-)
Our boys of course also love gamees 3 out of 4 boys that is .
They all cracked up when I wanted to play as I just get so bored with the games but when I do play I have a tendency to jump along with my character while using the controls lol
The game I can handle is mario world I won't play anything if it dosen't have yoshi in it :-)
Much Love , Rox

Cindy said...

Hi Rox.. and nice to meet you!

I love Yoshi, too. I find I get bored with games that are all action and not as much thinking. I like Zelda so far in that it is puzzles.. but you have to get in the right frame of mind.. how to solve the puzzles. Kinda like doing a crossword puzzle- you have to THINK like the designers.. lol

I can just imagine you jumping along with the characters.. do you have a rumble pack? I love it when my character does something like fall off a cliff and when he hits, my controller rumbles in my hand! lol

Anonymous said...

That sounds like fun! Animal Crossing is such a sweet game. One of my favorite nintendo games was Yoshi Story - cute as a button! =)

I still haven't figured out the Oblivion problem yet - we think it is probably the sound drivers. My bil is coming over Friday to help me figure it out. I miss playing it and it just isn't the same without the music! =) It is a nice little escape that reminds me of alot of the books I like to read - only I get to be the main character in the story! =)

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Blog Archive

Labels

Labels