Monday, June 18, 2007

Certain Things

I was recently reading a snippet online about a 'Rule of Six' a homeschooling mom came up with- the things she would like her dc to have in their life every day.

This got me to thinking. I really liked that idea as it kind of gathered up things for me. Scooped up the gems that often fall out of our day naturally. Those things, that when they happen, make it a good day. The kind of things, that when they happen more often than not, begin to build on each other and create the flow of happiness and family life that makes up this tapestry we have been living for years.

I started this thinking- "Ok, what things do I need to MAKE happen!?"

Hummm.... That is my old homeschooling-think. Let me re-set.

As I removed myself to my thinking spot, I tried to gain some perspective. Instead I began to think, what are those things that bring joy when they happen naturally, not as a list for me to check off. And they sometimes bring not immediate joy, but sometimes the joy that comes from living a certain way over time.

These are things I would like 'scooped up' and maybe even listed for me to remind me... so I can notice when they happen, and live life so they happen more often. Encourage it.

Let's see if it will be six things...

1) Grounded days with margin that allows connection and discussion. Boys having time to pursue and also me slowing down to connect with them.

2) Something new to think about- either the boys find or I suggest. Just to ponder, quietly perhaps, another new snippet of God's world not yet discovered.

3) Faith- either through a sacrament, prayer time, scripture reading, discussion together--- and/or private reading and prayer.

4) Laughter

5)Intellect- stretching ourselves, usually through discussion often brought about by a new idea (book/DVD/current event. This could be an offshoot of #2, or it could be discussing something we have known/followed for years.

6) Creativity- their projects and mine, sometimes shared and sometimes individually.

7) Friendships and the chance to give to others (physically, emotionally)

8) Connecting with God's creation- either nature or even as we understand how people behave, interact or create.


Oops, I am up to 8. :)

If a combination of these elements happen in a day, it is a good day. If they don't happen, then usually something is out of whack... but that is ok. Things ebb and flow. I find that these kind of days layered over the years are providing a rich life and learning lifestyle.

Re-reading the list, it reminds me a lot of what Charlotte Mason says.. to give children something to do, something to love and something to think about. I always liked that. ;)

What are the 'Certain Things' that make it a joyful day/month/year in your home?

1 comment:

Leonie said...

We made a rule of six last year - it went something like love, laughter, music, prayer, books, movement....:-) Put all those into our days and we are right!

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Blog Archive

Labels

Labels