Thursday, June 28, 2007

Learning As I Go... Home Decor, Dahling

Hey, I think I really like my new blog title! We'll see how long it lasts..

Today I started learning something brand new.

My house needs help. I know, I know, as a homeschooler we have carte blanche not to decorate our homes because
a) we are SO busy
b) the kids will mess it up, and
c) the kids will mess it up.

Well, now that my boys are older I am running out of excuses. It is OK... Ok.. but there are some rooms I would really like to pull together. Nothing grand. I don't like homes that look like model homes.. but just pulled together.

My problem is I see a show on HGTV where they re-do a whole room on a shoe string. But... of course they don't count the cost of the designer or the 2 carpenters, or the shopper that finds the 'steals' at the rummage shops.

It is just little ol' me, and my shoestring. I don't have an HGTV army but would love one... especially that carpenter named Ty..... lol

So, today I called a designer I know that helped us some when we first moved in here and did a major redo on our kitchen and living room. I mean we had some equity and needed help. I remember her being a bit high priced, but it was kinda rolled in our home purchase.

Anyway I called her. She said her help was free if I bought $3000 of stuff from her store. Her store prices are HIGH. Nothing like you see on HGTV or over at Tuesday Morning.

So, I asked, what if you just help me pick color and come up with ideas.

"$100.00 an hour." she said.

"Gasp." I said.

"Ahem," she said as her cell phone crackled in the Houston heat.

She proceeded to tell me that some people have a gift for this, but most don't and I can save enough to pay her by avoiding just one mistake.

Now I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure my mistakes are not THAT big!

So, I thought to my little self, in the past 10 years, I have learned about history, programming, literature, politics, child development, philosophy, and the Great Catholic Faith... and much, much more from SCRATCH.... heavens, I can learn about decorating! Especially at that rate.

So, off to Half Price books with a sackful of old books to trade in. While the talleyed up my credit, I found a couple of great books on decorating.
One is a workbook. I mean this is step by step. You start off measuring the room and drawing out the floorplan and putting little cut-outs of your little paper furniture in place. The boys helped me measure today and we did that.

I also liked both books because they were encouraging. One said that decorating panache *is* a gift, but it can also be learned. And they said that if you get overwhelmed, just take baby steps. Start with one room. Or one corner.

Kind of like Martha Stewart meets Flylady.

I am starting with just one room, the family room Now this room is already 'ok'. The furniture is a nice color and only 8 years old. The carpet looks good (but smells a bit thanks to you know who...) but will do. The walls are fine. So I have a nice canvas on which to start.

One book said to really think about what you want in the space. Not just how it will look but how it will live.

I know what I want. I want this to be a happy space. To read. I want it to be accessable. This is little, but where I sit, the arm of the couch is high and I can't reach the too short side table when I sit there and try to reach over and pick up my glass of wine (or tea).

I want to have the stereo hooked up so we can listen to music, but in a nice space, not with cords everywhere. I want to have the room more pulled together, maybe some color.

If I get this going I will post before and after pictures. My camera is on the fritz so may be a while.

But, I like this. Once I began thinking in terms of a challenge to learn something new, it became less intimidating. Wish me luck! And I hope I enjoy this and don't get stressed out. That is also my goal.

4 comments:

Sabine said...

Beate is great with color combos :-) Like you said, this can be learned and you should pay yourself $100 an hour and use that to buy stuff LOL!

Anonymous said...

Cindy, here is decorating help at a very good price: FREE!

http://www.home-decorating-room-by-room.com/home-decorating-blog.html

There is a workbook and lots of wonderful ideas.

Don't really think about what "designers" would tell you to do - go with your gut. What colors make you smile or feel peaceful. It doesn't matter if they are "fashionable" or "in" - just that they make you and your family happy.

Also, think about your art work and be sure to hang up pieces that you've painted (and mosaic'd!). I was shy to hang up my own artwork for the longest time, but now when I paint something that makes me happy, I find a place to hang it up.

My mom was telling me that when she was a child, her mother would create her own art work - everyone did - and that is what they decorated their homes with. Favorite blankets/quilts, throw pillows, rugs, jars of flowers, etc. Mark's great-aunt's home was like that, too. I loved to be there because it was so PERSONAL and lovely - not at all like you see in the magazines. It was warm and REAL. =)

Have fun with it and please post pictures!! =)

Cindy said...

Hey Sabine... send Beate over! lol
Yes, $100 is a bit much, but it makes me feel good that I am saving the $$$ and helps me relax about maybe spending some on the house.


Donna- I loved your comment, thank you. I am checking out that site and you are right on.. we need to make the house feel good to us.

I know what I like and just want it to feel more 'together' that is what makes me calm.

I will post if my camera is in a good mood... lol

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Cindy,

A greater part of the battle is how you think!

Good for you for trying yourself - creative juices are flowing!

You'll have to document your projects here!

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Blog Archive

Labels

Labels